cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping going from M500 to 1Gig

JohnRob77
Joining in

Hi people. Been a virgin customer for a few years now. I wanted to move from M500 service to new 1Gig service. Ping is important to me. Presumably it would be better or the same? But not worse ? 
I live in Bristol and previously I could speed test to a Virgin server in Bristol. That seems to have gone. That was when I was on M350 service. The ping was around 8 or 9. Now the ping is around 18 to another city. 
Thanks  have a good day 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I assume you have a Hub 3 at the moment, that will need to change to a Hub 4.  On a really good connection the Hub 4 has a slightly lower peak latency than a Hub 3, but not by enough to noticeably lower the average latency, and probably not by enough that you'd see or feel any difference when gaming.  On a mediocre connection, the Hub 4 is likely to be worse than a Hub 3, because it relies on DOCSIS 3.1 which is more demanding of line quality.  I infer from the volume of reports in the forum that Hub 4 customers are slightly more likely to have a miscellany of problems than the Hub 3, although most customers are probably seeing no faults with either. 

In fairness, I suspect that so long as the line quality is reasonable, then you wouldn't see any difference in latency either way, so if you want to spend the money go for it, although there's no real gaming case for such a move, as gaming needs less than 10 Mbps up and down.  

VM stopped hosting Speedtest servers when they moved to the built in SamKnows test on the Hub 4.  There was and perhaps remains a plan to implement this on the Hub 3, although the initial public roll out of that was stopped and initial deployments reversed, presumably due to problems found in the field.  The removal of local test servers won't affect the ping in games since that's down to traffic routing and host location.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I assume you have a Hub 3 at the moment, that will need to change to a Hub 4.  On a really good connection the Hub 4 has a slightly lower peak latency than a Hub 3, but not by enough to noticeably lower the average latency, and probably not by enough that you'd see or feel any difference when gaming.  On a mediocre connection, the Hub 4 is likely to be worse than a Hub 3, because it relies on DOCSIS 3.1 which is more demanding of line quality.  I infer from the volume of reports in the forum that Hub 4 customers are slightly more likely to have a miscellany of problems than the Hub 3, although most customers are probably seeing no faults with either. 

In fairness, I suspect that so long as the line quality is reasonable, then you wouldn't see any difference in latency either way, so if you want to spend the money go for it, although there's no real gaming case for such a move, as gaming needs less than 10 Mbps up and down.  

VM stopped hosting Speedtest servers when they moved to the built in SamKnows test on the Hub 4.  There was and perhaps remains a plan to implement this on the Hub 3, although the initial public roll out of that was stopped and initial deployments reversed, presumably due to problems found in the field.  The removal of local test servers won't affect the ping in games since that's down to traffic routing and host location.

Hi. Thanks for your answer. 
Yes I'm on Hub 3 at the moment. 
I'll weigh it up for myself. 
Cheers