cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping dropped massively since local maintenance.

AngieGooner
Tuning in

Hi, we had some local maintenance done last week when I was informed that our broadband would would be effected for the day. It came back in the evening but the ping has been dreadful ever since, I have restarted the router three times and it works properly afterwards for a short amount of time but it soon goes back to being slow.

Any advice.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

lawrence07uk
Tuning in

I’ve had the exact same issue. Ever since the scheduled maintenance yesterday everyone I know in Southampton on VM is having really slow connections outside of the country. 

Youtube etc are fine but VPN traffic is reduced as well as anything to OVH. Which is Europe's largest hosting provider. 

I really hope somebody can fix this

AngieGooner
Tuning in

I'm not holding out much hope, a day later and no promised response from VM staff. Pretty poor really!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A pinhole reset often cures that issue - worth a go...

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

That didn't work unfortunately. Thanks for trying though. More than VM are doing! 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AngieGooner, 

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. 

I am very sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the service since the local maintenance. 

Can you please confirm if multiple devices are impact or any in particular?

When completing the pin hole reset, were you required to reconnect all devices via the WiFi password?

Also, do you have an active broadband quality monitor? If so, can you please post the link to this? 

Thanks, 

Nat

Hi Natalie, yes every single device is suffering. Mobile, tablet, console, desktop, wired and wireless.

All suffering dramatic packet loss and a drop in upload speeds to almost 0 sometimes.

Yes to the passwords and no to the monitor.

Thanks

Angie

Hey there @AngieGooner, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm so sorry to hear that the connection is affected after the local maintenance works.
I will investigate this further for you.
Watch out for the purple envelope inviting you in to a private chat 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs