cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistent slow download speeds

barcode00
On our wavelength

I have been having trouble with internet speeds dropping significantly (< 5 Mbps download speed).

I'm on the M600 Fibre Broadband plan, but I cannot say I've ever done a speed test when things "work" so I wouldn't even know what to expect when things are running optimally. Maybe this has just become normal for me...

Thinking about it now, it is entirely possible I've never reached the speeds I should be getting.

I've not been actively monitoring it in terms of measurements, but clearly there are periods when things get slow enough for me to notice and do a "speed test" and there have been a number of times since March 2022 that I have noticed this occuring.

During the problem times, download speeds hover around 5 Mbps, with upload speeds 3-4 times better (so 20 Mbps), ping is 25 ms.

Today after speaking with VM on the phone, things later improved for around 2 hours (5-7pm) and I was able to reach 150-200 Mbps, but now things are back to where they were.

Naturally I'm using my own ASUS router with the VM one in modem mode. Although I've tried over ethernet and not recieved much better.

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Just shows you VM can do something but not make it stick odd that if it was power levels they would of said something.

On speedtest.net before running under Connections change to Single and do a test then Multi

when running the download test run CMD with ping -t 194.168.4.100 to see if your ping spikes

---------------------------------------------------------------

barcode00
On our wavelength

Thank you for your reply.

Speeds were as low as they have been last night after the brief period of getting better I mentioned. Still low now.

When I run a multi test on speedtest.net the ping is 0 and the last download speed was 3.65 Mbps and 36.70 Mbps upload speed. A single test had a ping of 0 and the last download speed was 2.33 Mbps and 29.49 Mbps upload speed.

What is the significance of me running the ping on that address?

Hi barcode00,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to hear you've been having issues with your broadband download speeds recently. I've been unable to locate your services from here, however to check this further for you I will pop you over a PM so I can take your details.

Please look out for my message over at the purple envelope

Thanks

Beth