cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for 350Mbps and getting below 100Mbps

sweetleaf
On our wavelength

So I have recently upgraded my connection from the 250Mbps plan to 350Mbps and now I am getting less that I used to!!!! Also the quality of the line is rubbish as my latency jumps from 35ms to 65ms down to 35ms and then back to 90ms!!!

Just have a look on the down/up speed from a speed test I took 1 min ago:

sweetleaf_0-1624903657712.png

27 REPLIES 27

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try a Hub “pinhole reset” - make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time.

See if that sorts it.

Do the speedtests over an ethernet cable connected device

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey @jbrennand,

Thank you for your advice but that didn't make much of a difference. I am pretty convinced this is an issue with the line that Virgin should debug similarly to all my previous issues with their broadband. The only time I might get the speed I am paying for is if I do a speedtest at 03:00am.

So I would ask from a Virgin stuff to DM me so they can check my line/area.

Thank you

VM should pick this up presently!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Whilst waiting lets see what the connection looks like - try this.

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @sweetleaf,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear and see that you're having some speed issues lately. As I can't seem to see that you've specified in this thread (apologies if I've missed it), would you mind confirming if you're also having these problems on a wired connection? If you're yet to test a wired connection, can you please do so and confirm if the issue remains?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

sweetleaf
On our wavelength

Hi @Zach_R,

The issue still remains. Tried a wired connection with no difference. I have attached the output of pinging to google[dot]com that show the timeouts on the connection and the increased latency.

Screenshot_2021-06-30_at_23.16.45.pngtimeouts_1.pngunknown.png

Hi @sweetleaf

I can see that there's currently an outage in your area with an estimated fix date of 05 JUL 2021 15:00

You may see this severely impacting your service at the minute, once this is concluded if the issues are still consistent then we'll investigate this further, but I believe the ongoing works should put a stop to this.

I've subscribed yourself to the outage updates so you're aware of when this is closed too.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hey @Travis_M,

I am still nowhere near 350. Checking speed multiple times a day. Could you please confirm there are no more outages or anything?

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Sweetleaf, 

Thanks for your reply, the outage is still ongoing, the estimated fix date is the 14th of July.

Zoie