Menu
Dopey-Love
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Paying for 200mb only getting 100mb

Hello

So I recently moved house and my Virgin line and equipment moved with me.  I was convinced to go for the 200mb package with TV and phone, which weirdly, actually worked out cheaper than what I was paying for 100mb??  I was hooked up without a hitch, TV fine, phone fine and the broadband works.  I was told by the virgin engineer that the speed would increase over the next 7 days or so and I was told I didn't need new equipment despite it being 2 years old (that includes my TIVO box).

Anyways, over 7 days on now and while connected via ethernet to my Super Hub VMDG490 I am still not getting anywhere near 200mb service I am paying for.

Now don't get me wrong, although I am happy with the speed, which is fluctuating between 89-96mb, I am paying for as close to 200mb as is humanly possible, so I should expect that speed.

After a few calls to Virgin, and after a dude from tech took over my computer, he went into the computers "Network and Sharing Centre", then into "ethernet status".  He then proceeded to tell me that it is my computer at fault, it is apparently only capable of speeds up to 100mb and suggested I upgrade, (which is annoying), so I brought a newer computer home from work (1.5yrs old) and after a speed test (ookla), I'm having the same problem?

So Virgin are suggesting that these 2 computers are not fast enough to handle 200mb.

My problem is, why am I paying for 200mb when I can only get half that? 

Maybe I should attempt to change my package to a cheaper one?

I'm gutted as I have been a virgin customer for nearly 10 years but I was disappointed with my service today.  

Has anyone else had the same experience?

What should I do??

Many thanks in advance for your time...

For your information: 

http://192.168.100.1/VmLogin.html router status says:

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID26345
Max Traffic Rate230000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst42600 bytes
Min Traffic Rate0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID26344
Max Traffic Rate12700000 bps
Max Traffic Burst16320 bytes
Min Traffic Rate0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst16320 bytes
Scheduling TypeBest Effort
0 Kudos
Pruney
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Paying for 200mb only getting 100mb

I've been paying for 152 and only getting 100 on speedtest, nothing to do with your PC mate. It's Virgin that need to sort it.

I was also told I was being upgraded to 200, looked online today and still on 152 after 3 months...
Dopey-Love
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry to hear that Pruney

I guess I will go back to the drawing board and start the process of calling them again...

I am not totally computer savvy, but I know a fair bit and I am not convinced by what I was told, which is why I joined this forum to see if my thoughts are warranted.

Best of luck with your problem too..

Pruney
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If anything, demand for a technician to come out to take a look over everything if they are insisting it's not on their end. You're paying for 10 years you deserve something.
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

What you were told by the "dude from tech" is probably quite correct. Until fairly recently, typical PCs were fitted with network cards that are rated at 100 Mb per second. This is the theoretical maximum speed they're capable of doing; in practice, the maximum achievable speed is somewhat less than that. Newer PCs are often, but not always, fitted with network cards that can process 1000 Mb/s of data. Again, that's the maximum theoretical speed. So whether your PC is able to take advantage of the 200 Mb speed offered by Virgin depends entirely on whether it (and the computer from work) is fitted with a 100 Mb network card or a 1000 Mb one (also known as gigabit). "Network Properties" in the Windows control panel may well tell you which type you have.

bromham
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

What you were told by the "dude from tech" is probably quite correct. Until fairly recently, typical PCs were fitted with network cards that are rated at 100 Mb per second. This is the theoretical maximum speed they're capable of doing; in practice, the maximum achievable speed is somewhat less than that. Newer PCs are often, but not always, fitted with network cards that can process 1000 Mb/s of data. Again, that's the maximum theoretical speed. So whether your PC is able to take advantage of the 200 Mb speed offered by Virgin depends entirely on whether it (and the computer from work) is fitted with a 100 Mb network card or a 1000 Mb one (also known as gigabit). "Network Properties" in the Windows control panel may well tell you which type you have.

0 Kudos
Dopey-Love
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the reply.

So by what you are saying, it sounds like most people who are paying for 200mb broadband will not be able to receive it as their computers can't handle it...?

Does that mean we would all have to go out and buy new computers making sure they have the capability to handle 200mb?

I guess it would make more financial sense to lower my broadband package with Virgin...

Thanks for the info
0 Kudos
Pruney
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Depends how old your PC is/what it is.

If it's above standard it should easily have a Gb
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

As Bromham has said there are many computers on the market today that have 100Mbps ethernet adapters.Nothing to do with age.

It is fairly easy to upgrade your ethernet adapter on a PC, for laptops where this option is not available you can pick up a USB to Gigabit ethernet adapter fairly cheaply.

Pruney
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's pretty standard for everything after 07 to have a Gb, you need to take a look at what you're buying if you are getting 100Mb or lower...

Also @Dopey

If you want to find out your adapter speed
-Right click on your network symbol on the bottom right, and click 'open network and sharing centre'
-Click on the blue writing which says 'Local Area Connection'

and it should say in there Speed: ___