Menu
Highlighted
mutineer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Paying for 150, getting 80

Hi,

I have been 'upgraded' to Vivid 150 at a cost of £50 per month.  Seems expensive.  I used to get a loyalty discount...   but now I just pay £15 per month more for what seems to be the same speed I had previously.

I'm in Brighton - area 20 - and I have a typical hybrid fibre to coax connection (in the street cabinet) to a Superhub 2 (Netgear VMDG485).  I get 80mbps.  When I complain about the cost, the sales team try to up-sell me to 200Mbps for 'only another £2 pcm' and 'full fibre to the house at no cost'.  This is clearly mis-selling.  From the other threads on here it seems the network is not practically delivering more than 100Mbps, so that is what I should be paying, rather than taking a spurious upgrade package.

Can anyone on here tell me if I can expect to get anything materially better than 100Mbps in my area please, with acceptable latency and a reliable service?   I don't care about the wifi, TV or phone.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Paying for 150, getting 80

What do you get with a wired connection?

Is the device you're using capable of Gigabit speeds? If you're not sure post the make and model.

Dave.

0 Kudos
mutineer
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Dave, that is with a wired connection out of the superhub 2 direct into a gigabit ethernet port on a pc.

Regards,

Nick
0 Kudos
mutineer
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Is there is a diagnostic in the hub that can run a meaningful speed test (i.e. speed to the hub, not running on a connected client).  I could not see anything useful in the hub admin or status settings.

Regards

Nick

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No speed test. If you look on the configuration page it shows downstream and upstream primary service flow. For 150 downstream should be something like 150000000.

Speed test here is usually pretty accurate. Shows single and multi-thread speeds,

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

Dave.

0 Kudos
mutineer
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Good testing site.  I get 84Mbps, bursting to 90 on Vivid 150.  Never over 100.  Is that typical?  Is it worth complaining?  For those on Vivid 100, do you typically see speeds of 80+ Mbps?  Or is it reduced by contention / throttled back to something like 50Mbps?

Regards,

Nick

0 Kudos
mutineer
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

BTW - I can't see a 'configuration page' in the Superhub 2 admin gui. All I get is an 'advanced settings' option which provide rudimentary stats - nothing on downstream or upstream primary flow. Where is the page you are referring to? Many Thanks, Nick
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Does your speed show as being configured correctly? It should be under Operation Configuration or something like that.

If it was contention I would expect you to only get reduced speeds at peak times. If it's like this 24/7 then there most be something else wrong.

I know you said it's a Gigabit port, is configured correctly? Does the light on the port flash amber or green?

I know it's a long shot but try a new cable, cat5e or better. Anything lower spec' than this could reduce the speeds.

Dave.

0 Kudos
mutineer
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I tried a new cable.... swapped out the shiny virgin one for an older patch cable, and.... 160Mbps DOH!
.. there was a 'crimped' bit on the virgin cable... must have been damaged. Apologies for the time wasting and the outrageous suggestion that the problem was at the Virgin end :-)

..but I still think £50pcm is pricey, even for 160Mbps!

I think you must have a more sophisticated configuration tool than I can see... I only have the GUI admin console with buttons for wireless, settings, connection status and advanced, none of which have any speed information. I suppose there must be a proper Netgear config GUI available for it somewhere, but the default CGI script that Virgin loads onto it blocks it out.

Thanks, Nick
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

It's in the advanced section, in another menu called operation configuration.

We all just have the same GUI.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos