cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay for 350 only getting 85

jg-_-
Joining in

Hi, 

As the title says I'm paying for 350 but only getting 85. My upload speed is fine at 35, it's just the download speed that is bad. I have been monitoring it for the last few weeks and it's at a consistent 85 day and night. 

How can I get someone to fix this?

If I ring I get the call centre running though their script powering it all off/on, which makes no difference and the automated checker says all is well.

How can I get though to someone who will investigate?

I should add I had an engineer out about a month ago as it was completely out, and after he came and remade the connection in the green box it was fine for a week and then dropped to where it is now. Before that it's been fine for about 20 years...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok can you do the test to rule out anything else by doing it this way

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop (check the NIC card), with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat6a ethernet cable, plugged directly to the Hub which you have first put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices/equipment are connected

Test speeds at.... https://speedtest.samknows.com/ ... try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your computer/laptop into windows safe+networking mode... to disable any potentially interfering software on it (there are lots) - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
First things first.

Is the 85 on ethernet connections or wifi?

Sub-100 speed is always suspicious of an ethernet cable failing and defaulting to 10/100 or the network card defaulting to 10/100 rather than 1GB. Change the 20 year old (?) cable for a new Cat6a one and check the settings (update any drivers) in the NIC card

If wifi is that on the 2.4GHz band or the 5GHz one?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi,

Thanks for quick the reply.

This is the wired speed from a docker container on my NAS that's running speed tests every 30mins (connected via a gig switch to my router), I get the same speed if I run speed checks directly on my router as well (directly connected to the vm modem) I use the Hub3 in modem mode and the house is covered by a mesh network.

The wifi has 2.4/5 combined with beam forming magic that if you are next to the router can stream at 200-300 mb/s.

I should of said I have changed the ethernet cables (more than once), both from the vm modem to my router and various other ones (just to make sure). I even changed the gig switch as I have some spares.

When the engineer came he replaced all the internal vm coax cables as well as fixing the break in the green cab, so the only thing that wasn't changed was the vm modem, but as I said it was fine for a week after vm came and before that I've never had an issue.

I'm thinking it's either the hub3, or something external to the house.

Thanks

Jason

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok can you do the test to rule out anything else by doing it this way

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop (check the NIC card), with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat6a ethernet cable, plugged directly to the Hub which you have first put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices/equipment are connected

Test speeds at.... https://speedtest.samknows.com/ ... try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your computer/laptop into windows safe+networking mode... to disable any potentially interfering software on it (there are lots) - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

All fair points.

Having worked in IT/networking for over 30 years I'm well aware it's usually "user" errors, I try to avoid that where I can.....

I shall dig out a nice new shielded cable (I have lots! ) and directly connect to the modem, can't do that now but will report back once I have.

Again, thanks for your help and suggestions. I really hope it's something I have overlooked.

Jason

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Report back asap.

Its odd what can be doing it I have a list of ~30 thraeds where problems were not related to VM connectivity (happy to share them if you have an idle hour to pass 🙂 )

E.g, recently, Dell users are plagued by their devices activating SmartByte (QoS software) unbeknown to them and even more recently, lots of connection issues have been reported from their new "Killer wifi card" !

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi jg-_-,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you've had some trouble with your connection.

Have you been able to go through what jbrennand has suggested?

Alex_Rm

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply been away for a few days.

Anyway, I rechecked my cabling and replaced it all again and that has fixed the issue I'm pleased to say. Well my download is averaging 250ish, which while not 350 is what I was getting before. 

It seems I replaced a faulty cable with another faulty cable. 😕

Seems I need to do a stock check and chuck out some old stuff.

Thanks for all the help and good suggestions.