Menu
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet loss

@davetay wrote:

After checking on the power levels on the downstream, we were concerned to find that we seem to be getting well below the recommended levels.

We're getting between -17 and -19 on the downstream (dBmV) and around 31 on the SNR side of things (all channels). Several Virgin Media Community forums have stated that it should be at least 34.5 SNR to prevent packet loss, and -6 to 10 power (downstream).

They were fine when you posted

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Packet-loss/m-p/3733240#M190552

must be fault that slowly got worse

0 Kudos
davetay
Joining in
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

It is a very intermittent issue which could also explain that. When refreshing that page I am able to see multiple channels occasionally increasing in power and SNR, and then returning to their lower state upon refreshing.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi davetay,

I've tested your connection from here and note that there have been a few instances of errors on the network, notably on the 15th and 17th of this month. It has been clear since then, though your Hub reports a highish number of timeouts - 44 in 2 days.

Power levels are currently optimal though, reading through your posts, it would seem they may be fluctuating. I'd like to arrange for an engineer to take a look - just reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll book an appointment for you.

Regards,

Jen
Forum Team

davetay
Joining in
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen & Legacy1, just to let you know after two VM engineers (first wasn't qualified to fix) we are now good.

A failing ONU in the box outside causing the issue. Apparently its rare they fail, though the engineer reported that another one failed on another call after visiting us. The ONU's are bad quailty but it's all the engineers have to work with.

Couldn't fix on the day as they didn't carry the part in the van.

Josh the secend engineer was excellent, though very busy in this area. (Oxfordshire)

Many Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Wonderful, thanks for taking the time to provide an update Dave. Glad it's all been sorted out - this type of thing can be tricky to diagnose from here but it's always a relief to get a result like this.

Let us know if you're ever in need of further help.

All the best Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos