cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss and low upload

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

Posted about this before in another section but feel its speed related so its under the speed section, obviously.

Suffered really bad packet loss plus low upload speeds (barely 3 mbps) due to a SNR area outage over Christmas, this was resolved towards the end of the month and I thought that was the end of it.

Today, however according to my BQM there's alot of packet loss and speed tests show only 8-10mbps upload (I should be getting 20).

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/41231e6e251120221d7c782baeeae99f0b... 

This is really annoying as I do video calls for work and need a good upload speed. 8 is probably ok to get by on but the platform I use shows packet loss by up to 4% which makes the video slightly choppy.

49 REPLIES 49

Daniel_C
On our wavelength
Still not been fixed yet.

Hi Daniel, have a look in the networking section, and look for the big post near the top, VM CORE NETWORK FAILURE {URGANT}, you'll likely find this is part of the problem, i mention this as you said in a post about a video call around 8pm, and currently have a core network issue affecting any and all customers data going through that link, particularly at 8pm-10pm every night, as much as the forum staff here are useful and very helpful, this is a KNOWN issue so i'm not sure why this doesn't appear to have been mentioned to you.....

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

It's not just related to calls at 8pm, its been happening all day for weeks.

But I'll take a look at the post, thanks.

Apologies i should've been more clear, i only mentioned the above because you'd mentioned being on a call around that time (I see the discussed issue on that thread on my own connection but 9/10 times it doesn't affect what I'm doing).
Just wondered really why none of the forum staff have flagged that at that time of the day that may be part of the issue. (I suppose that would be Virgin admitting an actual network issue, which they don't tend to ever do)
What you're experiencing sounds more like local congestion of a node, if thats the case, if its affecting you that badly, switching to another provider may well be in your best interest, as if this IS the problem Virgin take a millenium to increase capacity at nodes, basically in short because it involves cost for them, and alot of the time they seem to subcontract serious technical work out, on the business side i'm pretty sure every install is contracted out to 3rd parties - which unfortunately says alot about Virgin Media Business trust in the engineering teams of Virgin Media!

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

No worries. I mean the only thing it really affects is those work video calls that happen at any time throughout the day, not just between 8-10pm. I have just about enough upload speed to get through the call but it compromises the quality, esp if people are paying me for it (I'm a tutor who teaches lessons online). Not a good look when its me that stresses (a good quality internet connection is essential) and its actually me that's not got it! I stream and download a lot but that's not the affected speed. I regularly upload and send large video files as well so need that to be pretty quick.

Would look around elsewhere but other providers' upload speed isn't as high as what I've got now.

Hi Daniel_C,

I'm sorry to hear you've been thinking of looking to move to another provider. I do completely understand the frustration with how long this issue has gone on now and we are so sorry.

After checking again, I can see that there is a new estimated fix date for 3rd May. You should be able to get updates on this issue from calling our automated service checker on 0800 561 0061

Kind regards

Beth

Daniel_C
On our wavelength
After a couple of months of it being alright the packet loss issues have come back again, since yesterday. Not as high as before but still affecting video calls a little, and now I have more clients its not a good situation to be in. See BQM:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/41231e6e251120221d7c782baeeae99f0b...

Hi Daniel_C, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that your issues have re-arisen and it's impacting your work.  I would love to take a closer look on your behalf.  I am going to send you a private message, to confirm your details.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Daniel_C
On our wavelength

Hi Lee thanks for the reply I have sent a response to your message.

The issue has settled down recently but there's no ruling out it will come back like it has done previously this year.

Hi Daniel_C, thanks for getting back to me privately.  

This is just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Also, please bear in mind that our website offers lots of helpful information and also, you can manage your account from here.

Regards

Lee_R