cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss and low speed

d_an9641
On our wavelength

Hi all

I was wondering if someone on here or a member of VM staff could help. I've had pretty bad packet loss and erratic broadband speed test readings for the past few days. Ive tried calling VM customer services but they don't seem to understand the issue and unfortunately aren't really much help.

Ive seen a few other posts with a similar issue recently so I wonder if there is a bigger issue here though there don't seem to be any area faults indicated on the service checker phone number.

Here is a link to my BQM (the three big red spikes today are the various factory resets customer services told me to do):

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/299447c7f7563751417bf83e3aab616467...

Thanks in advance

16 REPLIES 16

d_an9641
On our wavelength

Hi all,

Just wanted to update on this.

Thanks again John_GS for booking the technician visit, he was very helpful.

The tech said the cable from the cabinet to our property was not the correct size for the distance is has to travel which is likely causing the signal to drop over that length and is why the power levels are not in spec for some of the channels. He said he will request for a new thicker cable to be pulled which will hopefully sort the issue.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @d_an9641

Thanks very much for coming back to us with an update.

I'm glad to hear that the tech was able to source the reason for the signal drops, have you been given a date for when the new thicker cable will be pulled?

Best wishes,

Serena

d_an9641
On our wavelength

Hello Serena

I have been given a date of July 14th for the new cable and been told if there are any cancellations they will try and bring it forward.

Hi d_an9641

That's good to hear its all in hand and you have a date set 

Can you please keep us all updated 

Gareth_L

d_an9641
On our wavelength

Hi Gareth_L

I sure will do.

d_an9641
On our wavelength

Hello Again

Just a further update on this. The contractors arrived to pull a new cable today however they said they were met with an obstruction in the duct so were unable to pull a cable through. They said they will have to apply for permission from the council in order to dig up the pavement and clear it. Not sure how long this will take though.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the update @d_an9641.

It can sometimes take between 6 - 8 weeks for the council to grant permission.

Kind regards,

Zak_M