Menu
Jay429
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Packet Loss and slow speeds in Area 15

Hi can we have some official update on the packet loss, and slow speeds affecting customers in Area 15?
Customer support has said they cant see any problem however judging by the countless threads on this forum its obviously a problem, my games are unplayable, streaming keeps cutting out and this has been going on for over 2 weeks.
We have heard rumours it was getting fixed today (2nd)?

andf
Dialled in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet Loss and slow speeds in Area 15

Problem is still present for sure, I have just checked the quality monitor:

0 Kudos
Jay429
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just rang them again, they are saying there is no fault in the area !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to square one.
Had enough going to ring BT and swap service. 

0 Kudos
all129
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'd also welcome news - if only positive confirmation that there are no network issues.

This is because I reported[1] similar problems with packet loss etc starting on 21 December.  An engineer's visit was booked on 25 December.  He called today c.12:30.  Said there was noise.  Replaced the F plug at modem and 2 F plugs where cable enters house.  Also fitted an isolator.  Said that had cured the noise.  When I queried how connections not touched for years could cause a sudden and dramatic onset of dropped packets (and one that then vanished for a few hours on 29 December) he suggested I run whatever further tests I wanted.  I have now done so. 

The problem seems to remain - as evidenced by BQM[2]; and by speeds which vary randomly when downloading large files from news.virginmedia.com.  Speedtests similarly mostly show a good result but sometimes don't.  Pings sometimes show packet loss and sometimes not[3]. 

[1] https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Packet-Loss/m-p/3900699#M201997

[2] https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/c200ee48a3c45c00fc290455a58e641862...

[3] eg

Ping statistics for 1.1.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 95, Lost = 5 (5% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 16ms

0 Kudos
sentinal55
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

2 of my friends had there routers changed made no difference. I advice making a formal complaint also contact the watchdog (ofcom) about this, i suggest the watchdog because i made a formal complaint and was told i would receive a call back in 48 hours from someone senior. I haven't because well...  they don't give a **bleep**... 

0 Kudos
Jay429
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

rRe: Packet Loss and slow speeds in Area 15

Good idea, maybe we can all band together and put in a complaint?
Doesn't this forum have Moderators, that would surely see all these threads/posts and advise Virgin media?

Here are today's and yesterdays graphs for me, in N7 ( area 15 )

1be49655cc60cbb08ec84e8aa41ce60c0a865701-01-01-2019.png1be49655cc60cbb08ec84e8aa41ce60c0a865701-02-01-2019.png

0 Kudos
Freyrune
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: rRe: Packet Loss and slow speeds in Area 15

The mods are just nitpicking which questions to answer today. They are avoiding any topics related to the packet loss/lag spike issues in area 15.

0 Kudos
Londonjo
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Area 15 here Finsbury Park, also getting large packet loss in online games for 2 weeks making them unplayable. I've reset and rebooted hub countless times and used new cat5e cable problem remains. Please do something about it , its a area wide problem affecting many people in Hackney and Islington for weeks now.   

0 Kudos
Jay429
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Maybe we should start contacting other sources?
thinkbroadband.com, ispreview
Explain to them the problem, maybe they can do a post about it might force virgin media to acknowledge the issue and give us some information?
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jay429

Thanks for getting in touch with us about this issue.

It looks like our Network teams have picked this up and have worked on this to resolve this issue, but if you are still having any issues please pop back and let us know what they are so we can support further.

Kind regards.

Karen

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos