cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss and latency spikes again

IsaacKingsley
Dialled in

November last year going in up till march-ish I had high latency spikes due to congestion. That eventually got resolved.

2 weeks ago I got a text message from VM mentioning essential network work was happening (and then another about it finishing).

Since then I've had ping spikes but not as bas as last time, but now also packet loss.

Area Reference: 20

54 REPLIES 54

There are still some packetloss issues, but the general latency seems to have improved over the last week or so after the engineer replaced some cabling/connectors

Hi Isaac, thank you for getting back to us. 

Glad to hear things have improved following your engineer visit!

Our systems are not picking up any further issues in the area which would be causing you problems. 
Let us know if you are still experiencing problems with your service so we can offer any further support. 

All the best.  

Molly

Update.
Packet loss throughout the day and high latency in the evenings again

vm2022-01-30.PNG

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us. 

How have things been since your post?  I have run some back ground checks from here & everything seems to be with in the expected spec. 

Do you have a live BQM link that you can share with us? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Sorry, I missed the notification of your reply
Here's the link for the live graph:-

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7097894d36efa44c6e539d31f3e8a7a2e3...

It has been quite spikey the last few days during the day when nobody is in the house.
Could it potentially be the superhub that's causing noise on the network? The engineer that came out last time said the area utilisation was at 65% so it shouldn't be as bad as it is.

Thank you for that information. I have checked over our system and we are still unable to see anything that could be causing this. 

Can you confirm what equipment is connected to the hub?

^Martin

My own router, 2 phones, my desktop, and a couple of laptops. 

The hub is in modem mode but BQM only pings the modem and not the router behind it afaik. I should note that the recent high ping during the day has been occuring when the house is empty so I don't think it's any of the devices on my local network being noisy as I'd expect to see constant noise rather than sporadic

Hi IsaacKingsley, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one and confirming what devices you have connected. 

I've had another look at our systems today and can confirm all power and signal levels are within optimal range. I've had a look at the network segment and there is no congestion on this either. 

Please disconnect the 3rd party router, reboot the Hub and check the connection then. Is there any difference that you notice? 

Pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I've put the Superhub back in to router mode without my own router in the mix (it is powered off so theres no risk of it causing any problems) so we'll be able to monitor it for a few days

The performance navigating around the web UI of the superhub is abysmal to the point chrome asks if I'd like the close the tab or wait. The wifi also keeps dropping in and out

IsaacKingsley_0-1644356352974.png