Menu
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 31 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: PO4 Very, very s-l-o-w ... for the 3rd time!

7173670352.png

Not even 7pm, so this is as good as my connection will be tonight before it slows down even more later on.

One third download and one third upload. Connection is constantly laggy and drops out due to failing upload speed.

Virgin Media up to 53Mbps fibre broadband.

That's over 3x slower than BT's top speeds (152Mbps) and over 10x slower than their upload speed (29Mbps).

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 32 of 44
Flag for a moderator

6398329031.pngJune 20177174118004.pngMarch 2018

After the last fix, 10 months ago, my broadband was perfect. 9 months ago VM's CEO promised on live TV that overselling capacity would cease and that sales staff would be retrained. Fast forward to March 2018 — what went wrong?

Virgin Media up to 44Mbps fibre broadband.

That's over 3x slower than BT's top speeds (152Mbps) and over 10x slower than their upload speed (29Mbps).

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 33 of 44
Flag for a moderator

7238866250.png

No improvement. One third download and one quarter upload. Connection is still constantly laggy and drops out due to failing upload speed.

Virgin Media up to 48Mbps fibre broadband.

That's over 3x slower than BT's top speeds (152Mbps) and over 12x slower than their upload speed (29Mbps).

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 34 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Hi JPL8, 

Thanks for getting in back in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and other than the slow speed issue ref F006071670, current review date 13 JUN 2018, I can see that there seems to be an issue with SNR and FECS on the connection (noise on the line).

I have raised this to networks to investigate further. 

I will let you know once I know more. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 35 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, Emma. 

This is something that I've been trying to get to the bottom of since January, so I'm glad that you've acknowledged that there's something more than just a utilisation fault that's causing me problems with my connection. I'm just disappointed that it hasn't been picked up sooner, given the amount of posts I've made that indicate this (including my hub stats) and that an engineer came out to visit me in March.

I'll look out for your update. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 36 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Hi JPL8, 

Just a quick update a fault has been raised ref F006168329 for noise on the line (SNR and FECS). 

The current review date is 30/04/2018. 

I will keep an eye on this and will let you know as soon as I know more. 

Take care. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 37 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Hi JPL8, 

Just a quick update while the fault is still open the engineers think they may have got to the crux of the matter.

How are things looking for you now? 

If you are still having trouble let me know and I will check again when I am next in. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 38 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma. Many thanks for the update. I'm very wary of self-diagnosing based on past experience!

7268504391.png

There's clearly still a major issue with the upload speed — especially considering this test was run at 5pm. Download fades away during the course of the day, too.

So, yes I'm still having trouble.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 39 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma. I've just run another peak-time speed test and I'm not seeing any difference at all.

7269011050.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 40 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Hi JPL8, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and the fault was closed on the 2nd of May. 

The general connection now looks to be ok. 

If you are continuing to have trouble please try the following so we can rule some things out:

• Pop the hub into Modem Mode with the computer in Safe Mode with Networking and let us know if it makes a difference.
  • Try on separate devices.
  • Check Ethernet cable. Make sure it is new / up to date. (Cat 5e or above).
  • Make sure device is capable of agreed speed.
  • Check wireless card slide.

Take care. 

Emma

0 Kudos