Menu
alovella
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Optical Fibre

Ok, VIVID 200 Optical Fibre. Does this also mean Fibre optics? when I enquired about fibre optics with another supplier, I was told I don't have fibre optic cable service to my property. Therefore it leads me into thinking that I am being mislead. Therefore, why am I paying for vivid optical Fibre 200 when in fact I don't actualy have fibre optics? Please explain Virgin 

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Optical Fibre

According to the Advertising Standards Agency it's perfectly legitimate for VM to advertise their service in this way. I was one of those who complained about this a decade ago when then-ntl:telewest started calling it 'fibre optic broadband'.

https://www.asa.org.uk/news/asa-concludes-review-of-fibre-broadband.html

0 Kudos
alovella
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

interesting

0 Kudos
ZiltoidRacer
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

the network is fibre to the mux but locally after that it's coaxial cable to your premises.

https://www.twitch.tv/ziltoidtv
0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@alovella wrote:

Ok, VIVID 200 Optical Fibre. Does this also mean Fibre optics? when I enquired about fibre optics with another supplier, I was told I don't have fibre optic cable service to my property. Therefore it leads me into thinking that I am being mislead. Therefore, why am I paying for vivid optical Fibre 200 when in fact I don't actualy have fibre optics? Please explain Virgin 

Asking another supplier about fibre optics wouldn't have answered the question about if VM supply you with fibre or not, VM do not (currently) open their supply network to other ISPs, other ISPs either have their own, or use Openreach's FTTP network.

VM can supply you with either FTTP or FTTC depending which technology your area was built with when they rolled out there, FTTP is fibre all the way to your home (then in the case of VM an ONU on the external wall of your property with coax into the house for the Hub), FTTC is coax from whichever optical hub supplies your home, similar to how VDSL is over your phone line from whichever cabinet serves your home.