cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only getting half what we pay for.

dave_bass5
Dialled in

VM has been rock solid for us since we went to M350, but now we are on M500 (since last week) we are getting just over half the speed we should be, so lower than we were on the lower tier. It was fine for the first couple of days, but now its constantly too low. 

Everything has been rebooted, speeds have been check using a wired connections at various points of the last two days. 

Can someone please look in to this and get it rectified or someone sent out to fix this. Its very disappointing, especially as we are being charge full rate even though we have been with VM since they started.

Area is SE1 in London. 

65 REPLIES 65

Thanks David.

So now we are back up and running my speeds are even lower than when I started this thread.

Is this still to do with the outage or do we need another engineer? Its been dragging on the whole month that we have had the service now, 

Well it seems over a wired connection the speeds are as they should be, but all wifi connections are low, like half speed. 

Nothing was changed or moved etc over the past two days since the outage, and we are no using anything other than the SH3. I know a lto of people hate on this, but on Wed we were getting 50MB/s on iPads and iPhones, which is good enough for me. Now its low to mid 20MB/s. 

Ive made sure all devices are using the same servers to Speedtest. I’m sitting less than 20ft from the SH3, with full line of sight as its on a shelf.

Thanks for coming back to us @dave_bass5

I have been able to locate your account and can see that there is some maintenance being carried out in your area today, we are hoping that this will be completed by 3pm today and that it will clear the issues that you've been having.

Please can you monitor your connection after 3 pm today and let us know if you have any further issues after 3.

Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks Steve, but my issues isn’t the signal coming in, its the Wifi signal from the SH3. Even in the same room its low. A wired speed test now is giving me 52MB/s, so i cant complain about that, but Wifi to my iPad Pro is just under 30MB/s. I had over 50MB/s (before all the issues started) with the old SH3.

Two things are happening at the moment for me. The first is low speeds over Wifi only. My devices can achieve full speed, its how I normally test things, but since the new SH3 was put in I’m getting quite low speeds. I’d never achieve the advertised speed over wifi, and i have done in the past.

The second, more worrying, is Modem mode isnt playing nice with my Netgear Nighthawk. In fact its not playing at all. The SH3 wont share an IP address to the Nighthawk, so i cant use it for internet. Again, this was working perfectly before the new SH3 was installed last week. Tried various posts, cables, reboots , resets etc, i see the IP address comes up as the SH3 is booting, then it all goes blank. I have a new WifI router arriving today, just in case the Nighthawk is faulty. Its been rock solid for two year but i know these things happen. If the new one also doesn’t work then ill need a new SH3, but ill repot back about that later. 

Hi @dave_bass5

Thanks for getting back to us.  Please do keep us updated on how WiFi router goes.  

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Lee. Thanks for the message.

Me and a mate have spent all afternoon trying to get a router working with the SH3. My Nighthawk, the new Archer, and his D-Link. At one point we had the Archer working, rebooted it to confirm and never got it working again. Neither of the other two would work either.

The issue is they aren't getting any WAN info. All the DCHP boxes are set on zero. We see a local address added as things are booting up, but then it all goes to zero. This is with 3 Routers. Ive always used Modem mode and never had this issue before. The old SH3 had a couple of routers attached to it over the past few years, never had to jump through hoops. All have been reset, even the SH3, many times. Looked on line at some workaround but nothing helped. 

Can i please either have an engineer out to fix this, or get a new box and ill do a self instal. Ive done it before.

Speeds over cable are still perfect. 

Hi dave_bass5

I am happy to arrange a visit from a technician 

I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Thanks.. 

Just replied. A couple of questions I’ve not been asked before but hopefully enough to proceed forwards. 

I have another new Router arriving tomorrow but I’m not hopeful. I like to be thorough with faultfinding lol. 

A related question. When using Modem mode are the ports other than 1 disabled, or does it still work as a hub? 

Thanks dave_bass5

The answers were spot on 

I have booked the Technician for you

You can check and reschedule this appointment through your online account if you need to
You can also cancel it if the router fixes the issue 
Can you please let me know how the visit goes 
Gareth_L