Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Only getting half my speed over wifi.

I'm a new customer to VM, it has just been installed in my area and I am still enjoying the novelty of checking my WiFi speeds all the damn time. This was short lived though as now im only getting half my speed. I'm on the highest package at 512mbps.

I mean 150 to 250mbps is a great speed but thats not what I pay for. Im. On the 512mbps package and I understand you get less through WiFi but I pretty much got 400 plus all around my house. I have split my frequencis too. I get about 60+ on  2.4 and was getting 400+ on 5g.

Currently only getting between 150 to 250 consistently anywhere in my home.
I've done all the basic trouble shooting. Anyone on here had this experience or have any tips for me. Its been like this for the last 4 days. And getting through to customer service is not happening. 

Thansk for reading.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Only getting half my speed over wifi.

If you get full speed Wired and not on WIFI it is either just the signa/surroundings or/and the devices.

No ISP can/will (AFAIK) realistically guarantee WIFI speed as too many variables.

Is the 5GHZ 20/40/80HZ instead of just 20/40HZ enabled?

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you have an Android phone you can get a free app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB 

It allows you to see if there are other Wifi networks in the local area using the same channels. The HUB has built in optimisation to move betwen channels that are least congested, however it doesn't always work.

That's the problem with Wifi, external factors outside of your control can cause slower than expected speeds.

I assume your wired speeds are ok?

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes my wired speeds are OK. Its just the WiFi. It was OK first few weeks then has just been slower this week. I mean my service isn't down and is totally usable just annoys me it was so much better before. I will try the app and check my settings in the router admin. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My frequencis are 

2.4GHz - 20MHz

5GHz - 20/40MHz 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

AHA!

It should look like this:

With the 80 MHz channel width being omitted, because of the optimisation process probably, it could be the cause of your issue.

The only way to set it manually is to disable 'Channel Optimization' and set it as above.

NOTE! You will need to set the least congested channel yourself making use of the app I mentioned earlier. All your wireless devices will lose signal for around 30 seconds when you 'Apply Changes'.

Whilst you are in the settings you could also set 2.4Ghz to 20/40 MHz if it isn't already.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You will not get good speeds unless you change 5GHZ to 20/40/80 as I posted before.

The LINK Speed will be 433Mb/s and in real world use your speed will be a good bit less than that so make it 866Mb/s LINK Speed.

EDIT: I can see the above now, Yes it is a bug at times.

Change Auto To Manual and APPLY and change to 20/40/80 then APPLY then change back Manual to Auto and Apply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What a legend this has fixed the issue back to 490mps via WiFi!! Why did this start doing this on its own?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@TheBowman wrote:

What a legend this has fixed the issue back to 490mps via WiFi!! Why did this start doing this on its own?

Thank you!

It happened to me previously when I've rebooted the HUB. As @jhuk diagnosed the HUB can be temperamental at times, which is why I set mine manually.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

On the HUB3 AFAIK 20/40/80 is now default after a restart as at launch it was 20/40 so the user had to change it, but again it is buggy and can change back to 20/40 I assume on reboots during the night when VM are working on network (as I rarely rebooted it manually) and I doubt it will do so when up and running.

I was on the HUB3 beta test and later Firmware tests but waste of time TBH.

0 Kudos