Menu
Forum Team (Retired) Louise_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 21 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Only Getting 80Mbps on a 200Mbps connection

Hi lijl,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting.
I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue with your broadband speed since your installation.

I have located your account using your Forum details and run a full diagnostic check for you and everything is looking good from here. All of the signals are within our required specifications.

I see you have advised you have tested three separate devices and it looks like these are wired connections.

When you have tested this I just want to confirm this is with a direct connection from the PC/Laptop to the Hub with an Ethernet cable with no other devices connected?

What was the speed like when the engineer installed the service? Was this checked with the engineer?
Take care,
Louise
Forum Support Team

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
cannfoddr
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Now all I need is Native IPV6 and I will be a happy camper.

0 Kudos
lijl
Joining in
Message 23 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Louise,

are you in a position to assist me with my issue? I would be grateful for your help.

Larry
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 24 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@lijl wrote:

Dear legacy 1.

(Hopefully, I have got round the Community 60 minute duplicate posting restriction)

I have just spent an age putting together a reply to you, only to find that when I posted it, I got a Verification Failed message and all was lost. I am certainly getting the feeling that it was a big mistake in coming to Virgin Media.

In essence, I pasted a table of results as follows:

DevicePing/Latency MsDownloadUploadTestComments
PC4285.1020.40thinkbroadband.comCat 5 Ethernet cable. legacy1 suggested speed tester (BQM)
PC793.6921.16speedtest.netCat 5 cable. VM preferred speed tester
HP ProBook 6545b laptop2152.3317.22speedtest.netVM Cat 6 cable. Marvell Yukon 88E8072 PCI-E Gigabit controller
HP ProBook 6545b laptop16187.7920.87broadbandspeedchecker.co.ukVM Cat 6 cable. Marvell Yukon 88E8072 PCI-E Gigabit controller
HP ProBook 6545b laptop2152.3317.22speedtest.netVM Cat 6 cable. Marvell Yukon 88E8072 PCI-E Gigabit controller
HP ProBook 6545b laptop15566.4519.04broadbandspeedchecker.co.ukVM Cat 6 cable. Marvell Yukon 88E8072 PCI-E Gigabit controller
iPad Pro15588.9221.10broadbandspeedchecker.co.ukWireless
iPad Pro2382.8021.20Speedtest AppWireless
PC793.6921.16dslreports.com/speedtestCat 5 cable. legacy1 suggested speed tester

Having tried three different devices I generally can't get above 94 ms download and typically upload records around 21 ms.

As you can see, I have tried the speed test links you recommended. I also did the outgoing ports test which took ages and apart from some of the individual port results having a green flag (no red ones if that is what I should expect) I had no understanding of how to interpret the pages of results. What should I have expected to see?

How can I test for "an internal fault with the hub link speed switch where the 4 ports go internal" ?

Thanks again for your interest in helping me.

get rid of the cat5 cables for a start and upgrade them to 5e or 6 and rerun the tests

Tony
0 Kudos
lijl
Joining in
Message 25 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony,

I did mean Cat 5e when I referred to Cat 5. Sorry; that was a bit sloppy!

I will get a length of Cat 6 or Cat 6e to try for the hub to PC connection and will let you know. However, shouldn't the 5e give me better results than I'm seeing.The run of cable I've been testing with is around 2 metres in length. One thing that I wrote in the lost message was that I actually used one of the Virgin Cat 6 interconnects (Hub to Tivo) on the laptop trials to see if that made a difference. The results are lines 3 to 6 in the table.

Larry

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 26 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@lijl wrote:

Thanks Tony,

I did mean Cat 5e when I referred to Cat 5. Sorry; that was a bit sloppy!

I will get a length of Cat 6 or Cat 6e to try for the hub to PC connection and will let you know. However, shouldn't the 5e give me better results than I'm seeing.The run of cable I've been testing with is around 2 metres in length. One thing that I wrote in the lost message was that I actually used one of the Virgin Cat 6 interconnects (Hub to Tivo) on the laptop trials to see if that made a difference. The results are lines 3 to 6 in the table.

Larry

easy mistake - all the levels are ok but the pre and post rs errors are or could be a concern - worth resetting those and see if they are historic or rise again - power cycle the hub or log in and do it via the UI - see what happens over a few hours and 24 hours

the 80 ish download speed suggests a 10/100 restriction somewhere - a cat5 cable was the first though but even if you have a gigabit card it could be a setting in the pc - but as you are seeing it across more than one pc/laptop thats hard to think they are all set wrong so i would come back to a cable or bad connection

change cables round and see if that gives better results and try a speedtest with the hub in modem mode that way you isolate any setting in the hub - try a couple of trusted cables and note the colour of the lights on the lan ports

if you still get low speeds then you have pretty much isolated everything your side

Tony
0 Kudos