Menu
cannfoddr
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Only Getting 80Mbps on a 200Mbps connection

Bonded 1Gbe pair 802.3af to a Managed 24 port switch with a 1 Gbe Trunk to a Edgerouter with 1 Gbe connection to the VM Modem

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Louise_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 12 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Taf,

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me so quickly.

What information are you looking for on this fault ticket, I'm sure I will be able to help with this.

Due to the type of work that is required this fault ticket would not be updated on the outage Communicator and if you were to call through to our customer service team, any member of the team would be able to update you on this ticket.

Speak soon,

Louise

Forum Support Team

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 26
Flag for a moderator

With the Edgerouter there is a NAT hardware offload you can turn on in config tree > system > offload > ipv4 = forwarding enable.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 14 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi cannfoddr,

Thank you for getting back to me with this information.

By the looks of what you have posted your still using a separate router (Ubiquity Edgerouter) when doing the tests.

When we ask to run a speed test in Modem Mode this should be done with Ethernet cable direct from our Hub to the Laptop or PC no 3rd party equipment connected.

To be able to run a speed test in safe mode this also needs to be a done with Ethernet cable direct from our Hub to the Laptop or PC no 3rd party equipment connected. and you can do this by 1) Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. 2) Release the Shift key when you see the login window.

Kind Regards,

Louise

Forum Support Team

Forum Support Team

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
lijl
Joining in
Message 15 of 26
Flag for a moderator

My apologies for jumping in on to an existing thread but my issue also relates to a shortfall in download speeds. I have just had a VIVID 350 installation (today) and cannot get anything above 94 Mbps on Download although Upload seems OK at typically 21 to 22 Mbps.

I am hardwired from Hub 3 to a Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller in my PC. I changed the Speed & Duplex setting of this controller from "Auto Negotiation" to "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex" and although the driver was reported as up to date I downloaded and installed the latest Realtek Win 10 driver. This raised the driver version from 10.9.422.2016 to 10.28.615.2018.Neither iof these changes improved the speed.

Is there a switch in the Hub configuration that was missed during the installation/initialisation?

Router Status / Configuration includes:

Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID6202
Max Traffic Rate402500000
Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID6201
Max Traffic Rate22010000

Any ideas would be appreciated as I'm sure that VM wouldn't have offered me a 350 Mbps service if it wasn't achievable, would they? This isn't a good start to a relationship with VM when I came to them after a long running issue with BT.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@lijl wrote:

My apologies for jumping in on to an existing thread but my issue also relates to a shortfall in download speeds. I have just had a VIVID 350 installation (today) and cannot get anything above 94 Mbps on Download although Upload seems OK at typically 21 to 22 Mbps.

I am hardwired from Hub 3 to a Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller in my PC. I changed the Speed & Duplex setting of this controller from "Auto Negotiation" to "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex" and although the driver was reported as up to date I downloaded and installed the latest Realtek Win 10 driver. This raised the driver version from 10.9.422.2016 to 10.28.615.2018.Neither iof these changes improved the speed.

Their can be a internal fault with the hub link speed switch where the 4 ports go internal either this or you need a new cable.

Run this speed test

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

0 Kudos
cannfoddr
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Louise,

All sorted - direct connection showed 200Mbps+ so I went back over the rest of the network config...

Discovered that hardware offload was not enabled on the edge router - could have sworn it was!

Also discovered that the short patch cable between the modem and the edge router was marginal at 1Gb so I replaced with a new cable

I am now getting 200Mbps + on a speedtest.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 18 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi cannfoddr,

That's fantastic news, Thanks for coming back and letting us know things are resolved now. 
If you have any further issues you know where to find me. 
In the meantime, don't be a stranger around the Community! Feel free to browse through the Boards and jump into a thread if you have any advice or tips that may be of use to others.
Take care,

Louise

Forum Support Team

Forum Team

0 Kudos
lijl
Joining in
Message 19 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Have been trying to reply to you legacy1 but have to wait an hour before I can resend my reply.
0 Kudos
lijl
Joining in
Message 20 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Dear legacy 1.

(Hopefully, I have got round the Community 60 minute duplicate posting restriction)

I have just spent an age putting together a reply to you, only to find that when I posted it, I got a Verification Failed message and all was lost. I am certainly getting the feeling that it was a big mistake in coming to Virgin Media.

In essence, I pasted a table of results as follows:

DevicePing/Latency MsDownloadUploadTestComments
PC4285.1020.40thinkbroadband.comCat 5 Ethernet cable. legacy1 suggested speed tester (BQM)
PC793.6921.16speedtest.netCat 5 cable. VM preferred speed tester
HP ProBook 6545b laptop2152.3317.22speedtest.netVM Cat 6 cable. Marvell Yukon 88E8072 PCI-E Gigabit controller
HP ProBook 6545b laptop16187.7920.87broadbandspeedchecker.co.ukVM Cat 6 cable. Marvell Yukon 88E8072 PCI-E Gigabit controller
HP ProBook 6545b laptop2152.3317.22speedtest.netVM Cat 6 cable. Marvell Yukon 88E8072 PCI-E Gigabit controller
HP ProBook 6545b laptop15566.4519.04broadbandspeedchecker.co.ukVM Cat 6 cable. Marvell Yukon 88E8072 PCI-E Gigabit controller
iPad Pro15588.9221.10broadbandspeedchecker.co.ukWireless
iPad Pro2382.8021.20Speedtest AppWireless
PC793.6921.16dslreports.com/speedtestCat 5 cable. legacy1 suggested speed tester

Having tried three different devices I generally can't get above 94 ms download and typically upload records around 21 ms.

As you can see, I have tried the speed test links you recommended. I also did the outgoing ports test which took ages and apart from some of the individual port results having a green flag (no red ones if that is what I should expect) I had no understanding of how to interpret the pages of results. What should I have expected to see?

How can I test for "an internal fault with the hub link speed switch where the 4 ports go internal" ?

Thanks again for your interest in helping me.

0 Kudos