Menu
Highlighted
Gilly1919
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

OL4 slow AGAIN...

So yet again I posting up about speeds in the OL4 being super slow or certainly not what’s advertised !!! Also what the hell is going on with the 2.4ghz? You just can’t even get a signal from it.. Back to the same old same old.. 

You certainly don’t pay for what you get as I’m on the big dog supposedly WiFi 500

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Well-informed
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: OL4 slow AGAIN...

Hello

Wireless speed can vary on 2.4Ghz I would be much surprised is you get much more than 60mbs depending on how close to the router on 5Ghz could maybe get more but again it will depend how close, 5Ghz is faster but has less range than 2.4Ghz also 2.4Ghz is more prone to interference from other nearby connections, baby monitors, handsfree phone as all these devices use the same frequency.

The only sure way to check your speed is with a ethernet wired connection to the hub, virgin media only guarantee the speed to the hub.

If having same issue on a wired connection then it could be signal levels then please do the following

Can you please post your network stats from the hub

Open a Web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) and enter the address http://192.168.0.1

Note: If you have enabled Modem Mode on your Hub 3.0 you will need to use 192.168.100.1 instead.

Do not login but click on where it says "Check Router Stats" and then copy and post from the following 4 tabs, Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network logs and we can check your power level, also while you about that can you please go around and check that all connectors to VM equipment are hand tight. Also while doing this please check for any damage to cable, or un-terminated connection without either coax or a terminator.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Gilly1919
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

• 30AE2A83-2810-4650-B08F-D047E127F952.png

0 Kudos
Gilly1919
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I can’t post pics for some reason.. Is there an email I could send to? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
BrianY
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Gilly1919: We mostly just copy then paste the info required.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gilly1919,

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear of the low speeds. I have checked the area and no reported issues are showing. How are things since posting?

If still the same, and you have a hub 3 router and a smartphone, please download the Virgin Media Connect app from the phone's app store. When all installed, you can use the app to do a wireless scan in the property, that should help improve and optimise the connection.

You can find out more here

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Gilly1919
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Iv done this many times and it’s still the same. This is not just a last week thing is being going on for years. If you look at my account Iv upped and upped my speeds to try getting something half decent which this new one I’m on is just that HALF DECENT but why should I be happy with that with the money I pay?? I know about the WiFi speeds and what I get as most of my stuff is on WiFi but when your getting speeds of 70-180 is that acceptable? I don’t have mass gaming systems or 10 different items on the go at 1 time and it’s still shocking.., Iv been at home and checked speeds and they are still the same.. like I said Iv had 1 of your engineers in recently and changed my v6 box as it was struggling to pick up a WiFi signal but it’s still the same... You bang on about having wired devices but how many devices do we have that just run off the WiFi in one house? Lots.. Id have wires everywhere if I had stuff wired and also 4 slots in the back just ain’t enough... Iv filled them with just general stuff.. This is why it’s important that the WiFi is up there and if your V6 box is struggling what chance have I got with owt else? 

Where do I go next? I’m struggling here and have been lied to many many times from virgin with this WiFi and outstanding work that’s not been updated externally. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I fully understand your concerns here, but the system is showing no issues. 

Could you do the wireless scan for me?

Kind regards,

John

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Gilly1919
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

25300D65-4BA3-4E3C-8E47-1BDFDE71E5BD.png

 these are all done on the 5ghz and done 6ft away from the router where there is nothing blocking the signal... The 2.4 is even worse which the kids are on that half the time they can’t even connect to. 

0 Kudos
Gilly1919
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

clipboard_image_0.png

0 Kudos