cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not the 360 mbs promised

paulcarter55
On our wavelength
  • Anyone know how to keep the broadband speed up?
  • I reset my router weekly as recommended by the Virgin technician which gets me back up to around 380mbs but by the next day it always drops back to somewhere between 80mbs and 140mbs.
  • After the initial month of contract when nothing worked reliably I had a month or so at 380mbs but since then it's always slower.
  • Do they automatically drop your speed cos they assume nobody checks?
  • I'm testing with the recommended Speedcheck app on a high quality smart phone as recommended.
  • Equally annoying are the momentary drop-outs for 4 or 5 seconds each time which happen a dozen or so times a day.
  • There's no point in looking for service issues as they're never admitted as with the recent loss of phone for nearly 2 weeks when the service officially had no issues. 
4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you testing over Ethernet cabled or Wireless connections? Speeds are only guaranteed over Ethernet, wireless does introduce extra variables.

@paulcarter55 wrote:
Do they automatically drop your speed cos they assume nobody checks?

No.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

G'Day japitts, as I said I'm testing as instructed by the Virgin technician using the correct app on my smartphone when I'm sat right next to the router. I test the speed when none of my other devices are using the bandwidth so there can't be any variables that are reducing the speed by two thirds. Full speed straight after a reset and then one third speed from the next day and thereafter seems conclusive to me. I'm not the only one on the forums complaining about this and the many daily dropouts that also occur. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to reiterate what @japitts  said, VM do not guarantee any wifi speeds, so all tests need to be done wired direct to the Hub.

However, please post your power levels and network log from the Hub and setup a BQM monitor here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment on the state of your circuit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @paulcarter55,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear you've been having some issues with your broadband speeds.

I've taken a look at our systems and everything appears to be in order this end. There's no issues with your power levels and no area fault that could be impacting you. 

As a provider, we do not guarantee WiFi speeds as numerous factors can cause drops in performance but you should be able to achieve the subscribed service on a wired connection. Can you confirm if you have tested using an ethernet cable?

As for WiFi we have some tips here- https://virg.in/wifisos

Kind Regards,

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs