Menu
Highlighted
Lauren1209
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not reaching 350mb Vivid broadband speeds

The speed tests have never indicated very high speeds for our internet, whitch was connected back in July. Did a speed test and got around 41mb download with only 2 active users in the house at the moment. Upload was around 21mb and ping was 9. So, what could cause it? As far as I know, it’s directly connected in the living room which has a tv that isn’t utilised. At 11.30pm, surely it should be near peak performance? Don’t think we’ve ever got above 100.

More to the point, the price is increasing from November but we haven’t got half the speed we should have, so, could it be a fault of the hub or? :/

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not reaching 350mb Vivid broadband speeds

Would need to check the signal levels if could go to http://192.168.0.1 or if using modem mode http://192.168.100.1 clicking router status top right or bottom of page depending on hub [no need to login - depending on hub] and if could copy/paste the downstream, upstream, network log, and operational config don't worry about the formatting we can easily read it.. try and avoid using screen shots..

also is this via wired/wireless?, if wireless can you test with plugging e.g. laptop direct into hub.

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
Lauren1209
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hiya.

I am annoyingly not in the house at the moment whilst I'm at home (student) so, I've asked someone to do this and hopefully, it'll be done soon. If not, I'm going up around 27th Sept.

Thanks for responding Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Morning Lauren1209,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read you are having an issue with the broadband speeds.

I've taken a look at your connection and everything has come back as fine with no errors.

When you are at the property next here are a few things for you to try. If you get stuck or need more help, post back here and we will help further.

1. Give the router a re-boot as been online for quite some time.

2. Try a speed test whilst the Hub is in modem mode. As this will eliminate other devices connected.

3. On the device you are testing the speeds on, make sure it has a gigabit LAN card and that you are using a Cat 5e or above Ethernet cable.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
trueblue52
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I am after a bit of information. I have the up to 350mb speed. I us my laptop by wifi Not cable. Can you please tell me what sort of speeds I should be getting. My friend has the same speed and is getting the speed of around 300mb. I am only getting speed of around 150 to 170mb should I be getting more when I am paying for 350mb.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting and paying for, you need to do this first.
Make sure your device/laptop has a gigabit network card with up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Then boot up your device into "safe mode" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download (e.g. Opera?).
Have you tried that?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You are paying for speeds delivered to the Hub. how you use it is up to you.

Wireless speeds are also affected by the capabilities of wireless clients.

What wireless adapter does the laptop have?

0 Kudos
trueblue52
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thanks for reply. I honestly couldn't tell, I am not to clued up on computers.

To be honest I am ok with 200mb but just wondered what it would be like with the 350mb.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps you could detail the make and exact model number of your laptop so someone can identify if the wireless adapter in it is capable of high speeds?

jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@trueblue52 wrote:

To be honest I am ok with 200mb but just wondered what it would be like with the 350mb.

Unless you have a large family with several of you downloading video and playing games at the same time you won't notice any difference at all.