cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting fast broadband

Slowifi4me
Joining in

Just upgraded to 1gb broadband and hub4 a few days ago but not had speed test over 500mb surely this isn't normal, tried reseting leaving it off for abit so not sure where to go from here.

13 REPLIES 13

My pleasure 😄

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

neilbz
Tuning in

I am having the same problem. I am getting around  500Mbps on an ethernet connected PC and about 400 Mbps on a wifi connected Chromebook and similarly and 300Mbps with phone. The Chromebook and phone speeds are what I would expect from wifi and am happy about them. 

Re the PC speeds I have checked the network adapter and it indicates it is capable of 1Gbps . The cable category I don't know but the fact that is can carry more than 500Mbps suggests it is category 5e or above( or is that a false assumption.?)

The VM Connect app suggests the Hub 5 I have is operating at 1GMbps . Could it be that my local area can't offer 1GMbs and VM didn't flag that up when I upgraded? 

Suggestions please. 

Thanks

Morning neilbz

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community - please do make your own thread in future 🙂

I am sorry for any lower than expected speeds.

Please do a speedtest via Ethernet with that device connected only at samknows.com/realspeed

Keep us posted,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Useful  info thanks.

Speed to Sam Knows Enabled Device 1142Mbps

Speed to computer 400Mbps

Suggests that the problem lies with my equipment i.e. ageing (11 years old) PC and/or  ethernet cable. Good to know

Thanks again. Will remember to open own thread in future