cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting advertised upload speeds on 1gig

marshmellowman
Joining in

I'm not getting the advertised speeds; while I expect fluctuation I'm never able to actually get 1GB. Can you spot any obvious issues?

samknows.pngscreencapture-192-168-0-1-2022-08-16-13_12_21.pngscreencapture-192-168-0-1-2022-08-16-13_12_39.pngscreencapture-192-168-0-1-2022-08-16-13_12_47.png

Marshmellow
12 REPLIES 12

scrd01
On our wavelength

Hi

i could be wrong here, i'm only a user

looking at your first screenshot in the bottom left corner

service provider virgin 1000x50

those 2 figues above appear to relate to up/down speeds

my own speedtest appears to confirm that

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do speedtests this way and look at the last 3 links

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers as Chrome sometimes gives odd results.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, anti-virus, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets. For examples of why... see message 7 in the first thread and 9 in in the second and 3 in the third

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/HUB-5-and-IGB-wifi/td-p/5088163

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Slow-Ethernet-Speed/m-p/5060946#M484321

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upgrade-from-M600-to-Gig1-no-speed-change-with-Hub-4/td-p...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Bear in mind that due to the Hub 4 having 1 Gigabit ports and allowing for the ethernet overheads, you are never going to see more than about 950 Mb/s on a wired PC. The Realspeed test you show in the first port is just about spot on.

What is much more interesting is that your hub is reporting as having a single DOCSIS 3.1 upstream channel as well as the usual four D3.0 channels. So, either something has gone horrendously wrong with the hubs reporting or VM are quietly trialing a 3.1 upstream configuration and you are lucky enough to be in on it.

Anyhow, speed wise, you seem to be just fine.

John

JCopeland
Tuning in

As the poster above said, you are getting max throughput for a 1g ethernet link - Nothing is 100% efficient 👍

Google something like 'real world ethernet speeds' if you want to understand deeper.

FYI, when my Hub 4 works, I rarely get over 900 Mbps but I'm ok with that considering how slow it can go!!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jem101 wrote:

What is much more interesting is that your hub is reporting as having a single DOCSIS 3.1 upstream channel as well as the usual four D3.0 channels. So, either something has gone horrendously wrong with the hubs reporting or VM are quietly trialing a 3.1 upstream configuration and you are lucky enough to be in on it.

John

Good spot John 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand wrote:

Good spot John 😎

Shush, I don't want people to start thinking I know what I'm talking about .......😉

John

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@marshmellowman wrote:

Can you spot any obvious issues?

Looks fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @marshmellowman,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not completely happy with the speeds you're getting. If you're on a 1Gig package then from what I can see in your screenshots you're getting what we would expect.

If you head to this page of our site, which talks more about broadband speeds, you'll see that your minimum guaranteed download speed is 565 Mbps and your expected speed range for upload is 47 - 52 Mbps. Based off of that, I can't see anything of concern with your results.

If there's anything more we can help you with, let us know.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

OliDude
Joining in

Only device i have seen hit full speed over lan is my ps5 hits 1030 mbs

Even my recent new Razer Gaming laptop only hits 950 mbs over ethernet