Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting advertised upload speeds on 1gig

snozski
Up to speed

I;m been testing abit since I got this installed on Thursday 

See SS : 

dadadaaaa.png

Should I raise a fault for this as I was thinking its meant to be 50mbit + ? 

Thanks

27 REPLIES 27

snozski
Up to speed

This is my upload stream line stats , Im new to cable so not sure what they mean really 🙂

3.0 Upstream channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

14620000043.55120 KSym/sec16QAM3
26030000044.55120 KSym/sec16QAM1
339400000435120 KSym/sec16QAM4
453700000445120 KSym/sec16QAM2

3.0 Upstream channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1US_TYPE_STDMA0010
2US_TYPE_STDMA0010
3US_TYPE_STDMA0000
4US_TYPE_STDMA0000

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Your low upload speeds are due to the modulation dropping down to 16 QAM, and that usually means an upstream noise issue.  VM don't automatically guarantee upstream speeds (although since they advertise them, there's ways of forcing their hand), but since a ropey upstream connection is a major cause of poor reliability that needs fixing.  I've flagged for forum staff to take a look and advise - might be an area fault that's already up for a fix, or if it is unique to your connection then they'll need to book you a technician visit.   

Cheers mate,  I thought so by doing some reading of sticky's the modulation seems to change to 32 or higher late at night but then back down to this in day. 

Be interesting to see what Virgin say,  I obviously want to get speeds I was sold 🙂  It does say the expected upload range 50-54mbit.   

Would this in your opinion be affecting my pings being less stable? 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@snozski Would this in your opinion be affecting my pings being less stable? 

It could be, but impossible for me to say with any certainty.

Hi @snozski

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about this, I am going to drop you a private message now to investigate further. Please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Is it possible to resurrect this issue?

I had an engineer visit who checked all internal wiring and changed hub and find no issue , the modulation issue on the upstream is still the same though.   

I tried dming virgin media staff but no reply 

This is how it is at the moment : 

3.0 Upstream channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

14620000043.85120 KSym/sec16QAM3
260300000455120 KSym/sec16QAM1
33940000043.35120 KSym/sec16QAM4
45370000044.35120 KSym/sec16QAM2

3.0 Upstream channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1US_TYPE_STDMA0020
2US_TYPE_STDMA0000
3US_TYPE_STDMA0000
4US_TYPE_STDMA0000

Late at night modulation can get up to 64 on some channels.   Download has no issues and I get the full 1156mbit or whatever it is.   Upload is never as advertised though which is annoying as I use upload quite a bit. 

Hi snozski, 

Thanks for your post and it's great having you back with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that your issues have returned. Taking a look at things here, the downstream power levels are too high. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath 

I posted my upload stats not download,  download is 100% fine,  its the upstream I have issues with.  As previously stated it drops really low during day. 

@snozski wrote:

Would this in your opinion be affecting my pings being less stable? 

Not the poster you're replying to but it'll absolutely make your pings less stable. Cable doesn't respond well to upstream congestion which is what you have here - the lower modulation is taking a third off the capacity in your area and it's full.

When you can't hit your full upstream speeds it means either your data is getting dropped or you aren't able to get enough of a share of the channels to hit your full speed. The longer you have to wait to get a share of the channels because they're full the higher your ping. VM need to fix the signal issue and restore your channels to 64QAM, and if you're still having issues get some more upstream channels to you or reduce the number of customers sharing the channels.