cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting advertised '100mbps' speeds

Rarr5624
Tuning in

Hello,

I have a Virgin Media Superhub 3 with a 100mbps contract. Now the issue is I am getting 5mbps - 20mbps on my computer connected via a TP Link Powerline. Is this even minimum guaranteed speeds?? I dont think it is! These are awful speeds and I am not getting what im paying for. Virgin Media has sent 'engineers' to solve the issue yet we have the same bad speeds. When I go downstairs and test the speed, I get exactly 100mbps but upstairs I am getting no way near this speed. How can I solve this issue with the slow speeds?

The router is downstairs and my PC is upstairs in my room.

Thanks to all

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you're getting the contracted speeds from the hub, VM have fulfilled their contract - how you connect your equipment is not their responsibility, and the minimum speed guarantee only applies to a device connected to the hub directly by ethernet cable.  Chances are that the powerline network plugs are connected to different electrical circuits, because that often impairs the performance.  Simplifying the many options open to you, your options are:

1) Run an ethernet cable from hub to upstairs PC; Cheapest and most reliable solution, often very tricky to implement neatly.

2) Pay VM £99 to move the hub closer to the PC; Costly, may worsen downstairs wifi, no benefit if you change ISP or move.

3) Buy a mesh wifi system (around £100) and put the hub in modem mode, and have the upstairs PC connect to one of the mesh wifi units; Costly, but effective, improves wireless around the property, still useful if you move or swap ISP.

Hello and thanks for the quick response,

Before when I was on the 50mbps package, I used to be able to hit the constant 50mbps using the same powerline, and this was reaching the same room. For some odd reason, I am not getting nowhere near these speeds anymore. I think the mesh is unnecessary then. How could I diagnose this.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Rarr5624 wrote:

Hello and thanks for the quick response,

Before when I was on the 50mbps package, I used to be able to hit the constant 50mbps using the same powerline

Yes because the output was slower from the hub that the powerline buffer egressing over to the output of the other powerline was fine, now that you are going faster from the hub the powerline buffer egressing fills faster which in turn slows TCP down.

So get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports with hub in modem mode or run Ethernet cable and forget about powerline.

---------------------------------------------------------------