cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting 1G as advertised.

Gordonj41
Joining in

I had virgin 250Mbps broadband for over a year until Virgin contacted me a few weeks ago and offered me a new deal. 1Gb broadband and keeping my maxit tv package and weekend calls landline phone and sim card  for £2.00 less than I was paying (now £60 a month) and promised no price rise in April. Sounded to good to be true ! so accepted new deal.

Got new HUB5 in a few days set it all up no hassles and thought I would check what speed was now . I have a 6 year old HP desktop to computer connected by Ethernet and it showed 950 Mbps - 1Gb and I thought wow !

BUT, I also have a Kindle HD10 plus and a Kindle HD8 plus a Hisense TV and a Samsung galaxy A32 mobile ,all of them are less than a year old .With the 250Mbps broadband I always got between 230-260 mbps wirelessly.

Now I am getting  250-300 Mbps with the 1Gb package. Not much of an increase as I expected, so I contacted virgin and (eventually) managed to through to someone who organized a engineer to come to house to check system.

Bottom line, engineer said since hub  was getting 1100Mbps + and I was getting 950 Mbps through Ethernet to my desktop computer the issue was that my Kindles ,TV and mobile phone are not capable of running with a higher download speed.

I also notice that the speed drops off in the other rooms off the house (2 bedroom bungalow) to about 50 Mbps where as before with 250 Mbps package I got over 200 Mbps anywhere is the house.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or assistance you can offer me.

2 REPLIES 2

Client62
Legend

"Now I am getting 250-300 Mbps with the 1Gb package" -

Err no ! Your kit is only drawing 250-300 Mb/s and that is all it needs to work quite perfectly.

Speed test your Hub using this link : https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on Run full test to see all the stats.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Gordonj41 wrote:

Got new HUB5 in a few days set it all up no hassles and thought I would check what speed was now . I have a 6 year old HP desktop to computer connected by Ethernet and it showed 950 Mbps - 1Gb and I thought wow !

Yup your doing fine😎

---------------------------------------------------------------