cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy hub

Gemmic66
Joining in

For the past 3 days our hub is making a noise like a whirring fan or a quiet hairdryer. Please help as I’m very concerned as to what this could mean. Has anyone else experienced similar?

6 REPLIES 6

Gemmic66
Joining in

Can I just add the light is normal and haven’t experienced a drop in connection.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you mean your TV box? Or your internet router?

You've mentioned a hub which would suggest router, but posted in the TV-V6 board. Not a problem - we can move the post if necessary - but there's pictures of all VM's routers on this page , is it one of these you have? If so, which one?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sorry you're right it's a router - Hub 4.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Gemmic66, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your hub. I'd like to take a further look into this, but wasn't able to do so using your forum details alone on this occasion, so please look out for my PM (the purple envelope) so we can confirm a few details and help get it sorted.

Tom 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Gemmic66 wrote:

For the past 3 days our hub is making a noise like a whirring fan or a quiet hairdryer. Please help as I’m very concerned as to what this could mean. Has anyone else experienced similar?

It's most likely the fan in the bottom of the Hub 4 running.  I believe they are temperature controlled and will come on occasionally.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

People have found that these hubs run pretty hot and have shocking cooling leading to diminished performance.

This can be mitigated by adding some small rubber feet to the bottom corners of the hub to raise it up by about 10mm.

I wouldn't ever have one of these on a carpet! - Definitely a hard, flat surface!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7