cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Gig1 Customer Getting Slow Speeds.

randomgeeza
Tuning in

Hi All,

I'm a bit of a noob here with VM, I got Gig1 installed the other day. It was a bit of a struggle getting it set up on my own, but I managed it just about. Since then I have been running some speed tests, as you do. And I have yet to see anything near a Gig. Most times it is in the 500's both wired and wifi. Wifi I can handle but I was expecting something a little, if not, a lot better on wired.

Could any of you knowledgable folk check whatever stats I can provide, to make sure things are as they should be.

I'd hate to throw this away by cooling off, if all it needs is a tweak or two... 

Thanks in advance.

RG

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try the wired speed tests like this and it should show the maximum you are getting

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have first put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).
This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software on there - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I'm on a Mac, will that impact some of the outputs? Drivers etc won't be an issue and I can wire into the Hub4 directly. It is already in Modem mode and wired into an RBR50 Netgear Orbi. So that's not an issue. I'll post back what I get.

I couldn't get it to work. It sat there and did nothing. In Networking in System Preferences it just said self assigned IP for my LAN?

So, I did some tests from the Orbi to my Mac, wired with nothing else plugged in. And I was getting on average 850 down 52 up. So, I suspect it must be my network that is at fault and not the what's coming into the Hub4. Does that sound about right for this kind of service. I would of liked it a tincy bit higher, but I do understand some of the limitations of the gig ethernet ports etc.Screenshot 2021-09-19 at 19.58.24.jpgScreenshot 2021-09-19 at 19.59.05.jpg

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @randomgeeza

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us. 

I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues with slow speeds, I appreciate this is frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

You can find more information on what speeds you should expect based on your package here

From the wired test above, everything seems to be performing above average in terms of speed for a Gig1 customer.

How are things performing over Wi-Fi? Any issues there? 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check in Sys Prefs -> Network and click through the tabs and see what settings are on the Mac - are they like mine?  try the Cloudflare DNS setting---  1.1.1.1 or Google's ----  8.8.8.8    And untick any proxy boxes

DNS setting.png

DNS - proxy settings.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@sofia_b Hi, and thanks for the reply. Yes wired in and the speeds do seem to be as I would expect. Wifi is somewhat slower, but that is to be expected. I have a three node mesh system, over three floors. So obviously, the further away I get, the slower it gets. I think for now I am OK with it all.

John, I gave up on that the other day mate. But I appreciate the screen shots. 🙂

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi randomgeeza, 

Thank you for your reply and for letting us know you are happy to continue on your current speeds.

If you do experience any issues moving forward, please do not hesitate to get in touch 🙂 

Thanks 

Nat