cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation, how long until wifi settles down?

PaulCalf
Joining in

Hello,

New customer here - M600 broadband as part of ultimate oomph package with Hub 4. Installed last Saturday (19/6) and was told that the wifi would take 'a few days' to reach consistently fast speeds. It was certainly fast to start with but over this week has become variable, from very slow to fast.

I am having problems with devices losing connection - I don't mind being patient but how long should I expect to wait until the wifi is consistent?

There's probably a ton of information I haven't given, but I've tested on samknows; the speed to the hub is consistently around 600 mpbs, the speed to my laptop on the 5ghz band can be from 30 up to 150 on the same laptop without me moving or changing anything else.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As @japitts  has requested, here are some thoughts I have posted before as a starter for 10....

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to to do is connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables. However some would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables. .  A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing too.

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Thanks guys (and Japitts for rewriting my tag!)

Your info is really brilliant 🙂

PaulCalf, if you follow my steps in my previous post and you still need help, please let us know and we will continue to assist 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Neither the broadband nor the WiFi needs time to settle down.  It sounds as if the broadband is working as it should.

WiFi speeds are not guaranteed and are very variable depending on a number of local factors.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try splitting the SSID and switch off Smart Optimisation.  Check your environment with a wifi analyser, there are many on Google Play store to use. 

You should be able to identify the best channels to use to avoid crowded channels.  2.4ghz has best range but less speed and 5ghz is faster but less range.

Also test the speed by a cable connected to a gigabit capable laptop or similar as VM do not support wifi speed tests.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the replies. So it seems that I have to put up with what I've got - I do have a fairly large house and there are some areas with a weak signal. Not everywhere needs the fastest wifi - it's the drop-outs that cause the problem.

Is the wifi plus recommended? And if so, how do you get the pods?

I'm still in the first 2 weeks of my package and my old service with another provider is still connected - it's nowhere near as fast as the Virgin package but coverage through my house was better. I have to decide this week which to keep and am open minded right now.

Or should I just forget service provider routers and buy third party? Or a mesh system?

Thanks in advance.

Hi PaulCalf,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your WIFI services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. There are a few things we could do in order to investigate and hopefully resolve these intermittent connection issues over WIFI. 

As a first step I've already taken the time to check your services on my side and can see there are some issues with your WIFI connections which need looking into within your home network. I'll guide you through some aspects which will help 🙂

Usually this kind of WIFI issue is caused by congestion on the WIFI bands, if one or more devices are on the wrong WIFI channel (2.4ghz & 5.0ghz) it can cause congestion which materialises as intermittent connection and slow speeds. 

• 2.4ghz - This channel is more suitable for low impact devices, so things like mobile phones, tablets, in-home PA systems etc. The things that don't need a huge amount of bandwidth to work effectively. 2.4ghz has a lower capacity, but it's signal reach has a wide radius, so even if you go upstairs it will still be able to connect (unless you live in a mansion! lol)
  • 5.0ghz - This is a channel for the more heavy hitter devices like PC's, Consoles and laptops that you may use for gaming, streaming and other heavy usage. 5.0ghz has a smaller signal radius, but it's capacity is much better. The radius can be boosted by using our WIFI pods so even if you have a PC in another room, you can still connect to 5.0ghz.

In order to keep congestion in check, you'll need to follow the steps on this link - Change WIFI Channel - this will show you how to change them if any devices are on the wrong band. Please have a go and we'll see if the slow speeds improves over the next few days 🙂

WIFI pods are a really good way to spread the WIFI if you have a large house, so I would highly recommend them 🙂 As for mesh systems, I wouldn't be able to give any advice on these as they're 3rd party equipment - but some of the VIP's might be able to give you some tips! 

@DJ_Shadow or @japitts, would you be able to help with that aspect? 

Thanks 🙂

Megan_L

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@PaulCalf wrote:

Or should I just forget service provider routers and buy third party? Or a mesh system?

IMHO - you will always get better results sourcing the WiFi equipment yourself. @DJ_Shadow1966 (don't think Megan got the tag completely right) or @jbrennand are both well qualified to give deeper advice here.

I would certainly agree with anyone who says the free router kit supplied by most major ISPs is best described as basic - although many people have reported good results from using VM's pods/boosters.

The advantage with sourcing your own kit, is that you have a free choice and you own it. Anything ISP-supplied is ultimately, rented. The others I've tagged (hope they don't mind) will both have their own take on this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As @japitts  has requested, here are some thoughts I have posted before as a starter for 10....

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to to do is connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables. However some would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables. .  A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing too.

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks guys (and Japitts for rewriting my tag!)

Your info is really brilliant 🙂

PaulCalf, if you follow my steps in my previous post and you still need help, please let us know and we will continue to assist 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L