cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer speed concerns

PHILIPK1980
Joining in

Hi

Brand new customer to Virgin (20+ years with Sky) and concerned that my 350 broadband is only achieving 110mbps at the very most!!

I had it installed on 31st Dec and told it will "settle" over a couple of days but no such thing.

I've tried everything all troubleshooting suggested but 110 is the most I can achieve on any speed test (even standing next to the hub).....

Am I expecting too much? Can anyone suggest what to do or who to contact??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @PHILIPK1980, thanks for your post and welcome to Virgin Media! So happy that you've joined us.

As @Adduxi has mentioned, the speed guarantee is only valid when you're connected with a wired ethernet connection. The reason for this, builds onto @carl_pearce's point as wifi speeds are influenced by so many external factors, like device used and its capabilities, distance from the Hub and amount of devices online to name a few.

If you wish to know more about the speed guarantee, it might be worth checking this page out.

Just to reassure you too, I have had a look at your account and there aren't any faults on your network thankfully!

I do hope this information helps, and please let me know if you need any further support.

Regards

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How are you testing? Speeds are only guaranteed wired directly to the Hub. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Wirelessly. It hardly seems fair or reasonable to expect everyone to connect through an ethernet cable?! 

Plus, a reduction of 240 Mbps hardly seems acceptable??

@PHILIPK1980 wrote:

Wirelessly. It hardly seems fair or reasonable to expect everyone to connect through an ethernet cable?! 

Plus, a reduction of 240 Mbps hardly seems acceptable??

It depends on the device you are using, distance from the HUB, etc.

You need to test with a wired device to confirm you are getting the expected speed and from there troubleshoot your wireless device/s.

What speed are your wireless devices showing as connected at to the HUB? You can check by logging into the HUB on 192.168.0.1, then accesing the 'Connected Devices' section on the left.

Example:

Hi @PHILIPK1980, thanks for your post and welcome to Virgin Media! So happy that you've joined us.

As @Adduxi has mentioned, the speed guarantee is only valid when you're connected with a wired ethernet connection. The reason for this, builds onto @carl_pearce's point as wifi speeds are influenced by so many external factors, like device used and its capabilities, distance from the Hub and amount of devices online to name a few.

If you wish to know more about the speed guarantee, it might be worth checking this page out.

Just to reassure you too, I have had a look at your account and there aren't any faults on your network thankfully!

I do hope this information helps, and please let me know if you need any further support.

Regards

Tom_W