cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New contract and speed upgrade

MR-T
Up to speed

Hi All,

having a nightmare, phoned VM yesterday to see if i could get a new deal, i've got problems.

Ist problem they removed my sim from the package, ended up having to go to o2 and transfer it over their, hopefully that's sorted.

My main reason to post was my old contract was for M500 which has been rock solid getting 550 Meg down 35 Meg up.

Anyway they gave a new contract with home phone and calls, and 1 gig Broadband, but i am now only getting 430 Meg down and 52 Meg up.

Power levels up and down are all fine RX mixer/SNR all in the 40s, traffic rate is correct.

Can one of the MODS take a look at the segment i am connected to, and see if it over subscribed or not

My Desktop is a fairly old AMD Quad core with 12 gig of ram, and i have had to put in a pci-e gigabit ethernet card in because the onboard ethernet was only 10/100, could this be my problem that the card is not fast enough? it was fine M500 but rubbish on the 1 gig package.

Or could it just be Virgin over subscribed network again, it seems pointless being 1 gig if your getting 430 Mb/s

I'm using Hub4 in Modem mode and ASUS RT-AC68U Router.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

regards

MR-T.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Geoff_UK
Superfast

Hi,

Have you tried the PC connected direct to the hub4 in router mode to test the performance?  Having said that, if you were getting 550 on a 500 connection, there must be a problem if you're only getting 430 on a Gig?

If you use the Sam Knows real speed test, what doe it say the hub is getting (you need to be in router mode for this).

I recently upgraded to the Gig connection and found that my AC68U was the bottleneck, but I was still managing 800+ throughput (with both cores maxed out).

I really like the iOS app for the ASUS and I'm considering an AX86U - in the mean time, I've reinstated my EdgeRouterX and get 940 at the PC.

2 X ASUS RT-AC66U B1's in AP mode

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @MR-T 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums, it's great to have you on the team.

We are so sorry that you are experiencing issues with your connect after your recent package change. 

Can I ask if the change has already gone ahead or are you waiting on a delivery of a new Hub at all? 

Thank you

Geoff_UK
Superfast

Hi,

Have you tried the PC connected direct to the hub4 in router mode to test the performance?  Having said that, if you were getting 550 on a 500 connection, there must be a problem if you're only getting 430 on a Gig?

If you use the Sam Knows real speed test, what doe it say the hub is getting (you need to be in router mode for this).

I recently upgraded to the Gig connection and found that my AC68U was the bottleneck, but I was still managing 800+ throughput (with both cores maxed out).

I really like the iOS app for the ASUS and I'm considering an AX86U - in the mean time, I've reinstated my EdgeRouterX and get 940 at the PC.

2 X ASUS RT-AC66U B1's in AP mode

MR-T
Up to speed

Hi Ashleigh_C

I have been upgraded already, I am not expecting a Hub, I currently have a Hub 4 and as far as I know it good enough for the 1 gig service.

I suspected their might be a bottle neck on my 1 gig ethernet card, i've just changed it for a 2.5 gig card and i am now getting around 945 MB/s using  Samknows Watchdog website.

So I think we maybe ok now.

I must admit most of these speed tests sites seem to show poor speeds, and i'm not convinces they are giving accurate reading.

http://www.broadbandperformance.co.uk/

This site seems to be giving me 945 MB/s outside peak hours.

Kind Regards

MR-T.

Hi Geoff_UK,

Many thanks for your reply and your findings on the ASUS RT-AC68U having a bit of a bottle neck around  800MB/s, I am not convinced that I am getting accurate reading on any of the speed test, this one seems to give best results though http://www.broadbandperformance.co.uk/

I will try it in Router mode, and see if its any better.

Kind Regards

MR-T.

Please keep us updated with how running the router in router mode works for you @MR-T 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley