Menu
Idris118
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New VPN slows my download speeds

So I joined Virgin yesterday with the player bundle and currently get around 40-50 mbs with my pc upstairs directly above the room the router is installed in, steam downloads vary between 30-40 while orgin gets around 10, today I joined Nord VPN and now my download speeds are almost 0 im only getting around 10 kbs while torrenting and around 5 mbs while downloading games of steam and origin, should i cancel my subsricption because the reason i wanted to get a vpn was to increase the torrenting speeds since i know Virgin throttles P2P buts its done the exact opposite, any help is appreciated and i will hopefully try to anwser all your questions. Thanks

0 Kudos
cod
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New VPN slows my download speeds

A VPN will always reduce your connection speed, although normally only by a small amount.

There are a bunch of factors which can make a difference:

1. The location of the VPN server you are connected to. If you're in the UK and you're connected to a VPN server in, say, Colombia, then your speed is going to take a hit.

2. The server load - if you're connected to a VPN server in the same country, that's going to help, but not if the server load is high. That will slow your connection down.

3. Some VPNs throttle P2P (although I don't think Nord is one)

4. Which protocol you use to connect can make a difference  - UDP is best, but some ISPs can block access from VPNs to your native IP. Although, that said, I'm fairly certain Virgin do not - I've used a VPN for well over a decade, and I've never (at least normally) had any problem with it and Virgin.

5. Make sure your VPN is allowed through your firewall

The above said, though, you have the Player bundle, so you should have 100mbps. It would appear from your connection speeds without the VPN, that there is some other issue at play, as you should not be losing 50% of your speed even with a wireless connection, unless the walls and floors between your PC and the router are exceptionally thick! Download something like WiFi analyser and check your wireless.

If your PC connects wirelessly on the 5ghz range, try to make sure you're connected on a channel with the least congestion (you'll probably find channel 4 for 5Ghz is good). If it's 2.4ghz try channel 1, 6, or 11.

There are a whole lot of other possible reasons for slow speed, including drivers needing updated. One thing you could do is move your PC to a place where you can wire it to the hub and then try a speedtest, to see if you're losing speed just over wireless or if your connection ishaving problems.

cod
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I meant to say channel 44 for the 5ghz btw!
0 Kudos
Borg100
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yes, AirVPN is easiest to use and works But I went another route again after trying numerous VPN's .. Basically, I'm on NordVPN and I didn't use The APP I just downloaded UDP/TCP config file and Used this and I get 39-41MiB Full speed on torrents Using OpenVPN <<<. https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Proxy/1049258992/Proxy-setup-on-Deluge.htm

0 Kudos