Menu
dshortho
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

New VM user - zero upload speed for two days???

Hi – a speed question as I’m getting zero upload speed.

our village has brand new Virgin fibre installed and I have just had the tv, phone broadband package installed.

After a couple of days of reasonable broadband service on this brand new fibvre network I’m now getting some serious broadband problems e.g. slow download speeds from time to time, and zero to near-zero upload speed for the last two days. Email and basic computer interaction with the internet is unworkable. The TV and phone is working.

Have I made a massive mistake moving to VM? It’s fast, but essentially useless if it’s unreliable and the customer service is slow to respond.

My main question is basically how do I get help with this? (apart from this forum)

My package: M200 Fibre Broadband. I have added a Nova MW6 mesh to give wifi coverage through the house. The zero upload speeds are recorded by a laptop directly connected to the Hub i.e. no wifi involved, and of course is repeated over the wifi.

The my.virginmedia.com gives as service status: green ticks for broadband, tv and phone i.e. no known issues for broadband?? I tried a “run test” which told me to wait ten minutes, and switch the hub on and off again. No improvemenrt. It didn’t seem to notice zero upload to the internet? Does this test do anything?

I called the help number 0800 052 1111 (I think a call centre based in India?) who said I had an “intermittant signal issue” in my area – an area fault. As this is pretty vague and contradicts the my.virginmedia.com status, who has the better information?

He advised me to call the service status check line 0800 561 0061. A computer voice told me there are engineers working on a “hard problem”. It asked me to give a text for updates but I have heared nothing. Is there a way to talk to a human to see if this is related to my problem? Or find out what problems are in my area? Or the ETA on a fix?

My Hub network diagnostic tool reports all good. The ping is a reliable 20ms. How should I interpret the router status? I suspect my problem is between the modem and the VM network so this might be a moot point.

How do I log a problem with a virgin engineer so I know someone will respond to it?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: New VM user - zero upload speed for two days???

It does look like you have a local area problem that they know about and its on the postcode checker line.
The service status weblink is often more "global" so local faults affecting just a few customers wont necessarilyshow there. Whilst that fault is still ongoing they will never book you a technician visit - until it is fixed.
All you can do is keep checking the 0061 number or any texts you get. You could also call it in again to CS and when they tell you there is "an area fault" get the fault reference number from them so you can track it.
Hopefully when a VM staff person gets to this thread they will get more information for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi dshortho,

Sorry to hear about the intermittent issues you are having 

Thanks for bringing this our attention though 

I will send you a private message to gain account access 

Then I can look at what exactly is causing this issue and get a fix date for you 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
dshortho
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thx JB

I managed to get this from a chat support guy:  "I checked there is a maintenance work due to low signals and we have raised this issue to our network team, the estimated end time for the fault is 22 JUL 2019 11:25." i.e. at least 3 more days of broken broadband - if it is indeed my fault.

When pressed he gave me a fault number: F007256889

I asked him how I could track progress on this and he suggested the My Vodafone app. Unfortunately this tells me there is no broadband problems in my area, and I cant see how to enter a fault number anywhere ??Smiley Surprised

Can you suggest how I can track progress on this fault number? (I'm not convinced it is related to my fault)

At the moment I have not managed to tell anyone I have zero upload speed, so I am dubious that the fault is being worked on by anyone ...

cheers

David

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ask on here and a VM staff person should update you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
dshortho
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thx - yes Gareth pm’d me and confirmed a local fault was due to be fixed by 22/7.

but I can’t find any details on this local fault (how local? What are the symptoms? Etc), eg no details on any web page. 

but I’m not sure if this fault is related to my problem . I guess my hands are tied until this local fault is cleared 

0 Kudos
dshortho
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: New VM user - zero upload speed for four days???

4th day of no upload speeds ...

I have an area fault number but no way to track it, to speak to an engineer, to see if this area fault is relevant to me, or to get a useful update. The mobile update service has been silent. About as minimal and poor a customer service as you can get these days

So far an extremely disappointing initial experience of the reliability and customer service provided by Virgin Media - this forum excepted

Looking on the internet, I see similar experiences everywhere

0 Kudos
dshortho
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

update - 5th date of zero upload speeds

21/7 Finally got my first virgin update text: We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way. BUT estimated repair time is now three days later 25/7 -- odd

Help line confirmed 2 things to me: (1) area fault first reported on 16/7 (ii) if there is an area fault, the system automatically un-books any engineers you might have arranged - they just don't turn up (3) they can flatly refuse to call out an engineer to help you -- call back if it is not fixed by the 25th ...

I finally managed to flag down a Virgin man in a van who had some real information:

(a) the virgin system tools you can access online and hub test ONLY checks download speeds(!), it doesn't check upload speed. Hence all the green lights when I do a broadband check

(b) an area fault was found today in the next village, but it had nothing to do with my "area" fault. So all the expected fix time estimates were baloney. They have just raised a new area fault for my village. "Area" faults seem to be vaguely post-code related?

(c) the man in a van teams are just as exasperated by the VM offshore management systems as we are

(d) VM is no longer owned by Branson, it was all sold off a while ago. Has anyone got a management email address?

So my fears that no-one was working to repair my fault were alas true. Easier to reassure they are working on a really hard problem by automatic message.

Sounds like what you get when you look to mimimise money spent on customer support using offshore call centres, and automated phone lines.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

VM "Areas" are not geographic - they are "legacy" areas from how the company was put together during mergers - take overs etc.
For example - I am in South Manchester and in Area 20 - as are other regular posters on here - who are in Surrey & Sussex.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dshortho
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks JB, thats interesting

The “area” I was refering to was from the status line message “you have an area fault”. It turns out our village fault is different to the next door village fault (which is now fixed), but the system had allocated a single fault to a wide geographic area.

It was the engineer in a van who suggested that the fault system worked on post codes i.e. assumes SW15 is a single area, and SW16 is next door to SW16.

My problem is the engineers were working on a different fault in a different village, which is why we didn’t see any Virgin vans in the area working on ours. This might have been realised if the help line had been incentivised to record the details of what our fault was, and been trained to spot the difference?

It also probably doesn’t help that the self-diagnostics tools only check the download speeds (which are fine), and not upload speeds (which are not).

Anyway, the engineer seemed definite that we are now being looked at after 8 days of problems ...

0 Kudos