Menu
glenmore3685
Tuning in
Message 11 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Installation, Suboptimal Speeds

Thanks for your help, its appreciated. I'm keen to get this resolved ASAP because I've only got 2 weeks to cancel before being locked into the contract. 

It's a shame that you have to come on to a forum and wait a few days to get decent support, I've little confidence in offshore and there doesn't appear to be a UK based support team that issues can be escalated to that you can speak with (unlike Sky where if you moan enough you'll get put through to someone in the UK).

Guess I've give it a few more days and hope one of the VM people pick this up before my 2 week deadline is up, I guess I could give Support another try via telephone this time but if its anything like the chat support today I'd probably be wasting my time.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your thanks. During the day, you might get through to a UK agent.

Thing is, if you cancel, the best you are likely to get is BT/Sky's 80 meg.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
glenmore3685
Tuning in
Message 13 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I know, but its not just about speed. 3 days in and I've not been impressed with Virgin's service. It's all very well having a fast service but if you got poor support you're in for a world of pain if things go wrong.

Hopefully someone from the VM team comes and saves the day soon... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi glenmore3685

Thanks for messaging us. 

We are sorry to see that you have been having issues with the service. We want you to be able to use the service and do aim to get faults fixed as soon as we can. Can you let us know if you were able to speak with the technical team regarding this? If so, what was advised?

Kind Regards 

Chris_W1

0 Kudos
glenmore3685
Tuning in
Message 15 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris

@Chris_W1 wrote:

Hi glenmore3685

Thanks for messaging us. 

We are sorry to see that you have been having issues with the service. We want you to be able to use the service and do aim to get faults fixed as soon as we can. Can you let us know if you were able to speak with the technical team regarding this? If so, what was advised?

Kind Regards 

Chris_W1

Hi Chris

I used chat yesterday (4/2/19) and spoke to Vidyasagar who told me my issue would be resolved in 30-40 minutes and the following work order was raised: Slow speeds due to FEC errors on cable. Raised outage and staged work order #16084808.

That was yesterday, nothing has changed and the speeds are still nowhere near 350, following the informed feedback from the forum it seems doubtful that work order is even related to my situation.

Gareth

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the update glenmore3685,

I'd like to take a look at this for you so I am going to send you a PM to request additional details.

Thanks

Tom_S

0 Kudos
glenmore3685
Tuning in
Message 17 of 26
Flag for a moderator

So the engineer came yesterday, he stuck something on the rear of the hub which improved the upstream levels. We ran some speed tests on a machine that was connected via Ethernet to the hub and everything looked well.

The only think I have noticed post the visit is a significant increase in Pre & Post errors - I had none before the engineer came. Any thoughts?

New stats:

1.png

2.png

3.png4.pngOnly item in the log since engineer visit

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 18 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The technician has put a power attenuator on which has forced upstream power higher and lowered the downstream power levels.

Actually, that is totally pointless. Looking at the numbers, he has attached a 6dB attenuator. So what happens to the upstream? Previously it only needed to put out 30 dBmv; now it puts out 36 dBmv which is promptly attenuated back down to 30 dBmv when it leaves your house! Pointless.

When the Post-RS errors exceed (in your case vastly exceed) the Pre-RS errors (which are correctable), then something is wrong. If they are not rising now (Post-RS), then it was a one off. If they are rising in ordinary use, then noise is getting into the system.

Either the attenuator needs tightening up at its screws or it is faulty. I would take it off, refit the coax cable, tightly screwed, and take another look at the error count. When the Hub reboots, the Post-RS errors will rise due to the eraly moments of unsynch'd choas; but thereafter they should not rise.

Let us know.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
glenmore3685
Tuning in
Message 19 of 26
Flag for a moderator

OK so I checked everything was tight earlier today and power cycled the hub, since then (about 9/10 hours ago) it seems more stable (see stats below).

I'm confused about what purpose the attenuator has, I see its brought the upstream level into spec but you mention this is being reduced back to 30 when it leaves my house - what is reducing it? Obviously the +6 increase in the upstream lowered the downstream but even with the reduction the downstream remains in spec so if the objective was getting everything in spec it seems to have worked from my stats. Apologies if I'm missing something, I'm no expert on DOCSIS!

Downstream bonded channels

Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors

1Locked38.690
2Locked38.9230
3Locked38.950
4Locked38.640
5Locked38.6140
6Locked38.6100
7Locked38.680
8Locked38.650
9Locked38.650
10Locked38.650
11Locked38.690
12Locked38.690
13Locked38.680
14Locked38.970
15Locked38.6150
16Locked38.960
17Locked38.970
18Locked38.680
19Locked38.970
20Locked38.970
21Locked38.660
22Locked38.970
23Locked38.660
24Locked38.930
0 Kudos
glenmore3685
Tuning in
Message 20 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Upon further reading, could my original upstream level have been fine? I read that if you're close to the cabinet the hub doesn't need to kick out a lot of power in that situation? I read that the Hub is told the power level to apply and told to increase it if required, does that mean the hub was told to kick out the upstream level it was and that was fine?

SO CONFUSED!!! Smiley Very Happy

BTW I have a fibre to the property installation if that makes any difference to anything.

0 Kudos