cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 500mb line installed. download speeds 150mb wired connection, 6mb with wireless

GSI_2000
Joining in

I had my install carried out at the beginning of the week. Tested my speeds last night. In my office (in the second floor loft via wifi) the speed came back as 6.1mb download and 29mb upload, which seems strange!

with a 1 meter cable directly into the back of the router on the ground floor the speed test came back with 156mb download.

I'm assuming I have big issues with my WiFi. I'm going to check which ghz I'm connected to and also I've bought some of the plug extenders that will use the house wiring for a 'wired' connection. 

However, even if I manage to get it up to match the 156mb of the speed that's at the router.... its still abysmal speeds for the quoted (and paid for!) 500mb connection. 

Is this something that is likely to improve, is it downloading setting or something which is killing it?  Connections to the unit are limited. I believe at max it will be my wifes phone and my PC connected to wifi. Could the TV service kill it?

I'm a bit lost really and slightly regretting my choice of Virgin Media!

4 REPLIES 4

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

speed will not improve wired - it is what it is but something is wrong

start with some info from the hub

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

for wifi you would be better to split the bands and turn off smart wifi

not sure what you mean by plug extenders - am guessing you mean the ones that plug into the mains and use that as the ring - they re ok but are likely to reduce speeds - you would be better with a 3rd party router or a mesh system for any money spent

but lets try and work out why you are not getting 500 [ish] wired first

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do as tony suggests and can you test speeds like this.

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I'll check. thanks guys

Hi GSI_2000,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the broadband issue you're having. 

Have you been able to check what has been suggested by the other users? If so please do let us know the result.

^Martin