cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never receiving advertised speeds.

makoshark
On our wavelength

I've just about given up all hope... contacted Virgin Customer Support numerous times, gone through the usual nonsense about rebooting the router / factory reset ets. etc. but all surprise, surprise to no avail! I am and have been paying for the 350Mb service but as will be seen from the speed test results graph below over the past yeat plus, I get nowhere near, in fact about 10% is the average download and ironically, I often have a better upload than download. Something really needs to be done about the disasterous Virgin Media service...

snapshot 4.4.21.JPG

17 REPLIES 17

If they actually call you back I will be amazed. 

Hopefully you do get a call back but I wouldn't hold my breath to be honest. As already stated by @Adduxi, fire up the router stats and set up a BQM and we can see if it shows anything 🙂

Type 192.168.0.1 or (192.168.100.1 if you have your Hub in Modem mode) into your address bar at the top of your browser

DO NOT LOG IN, just click “Check Router Status” at the bottom of the page. Sometimes the “Check Router Status” is missing, in this case just go ahead and log in and go to Advanced Settings-> Tools-> Network Status.

Please copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs, if you get a yellow warning just click the Post button again.

You can use more than one post for each item if needed!

If you get a warning when you hit “Post” just hit “Post” again and it should work ok!

Please do not use screenshots

Also can you please setup a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com. Just click on Create a new monitor.

Under your graph you just created Click (Share Live Graph)

Copy the text in the “Direct Link” box and paste it on here

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

It seems that VM’s customer service is focussed on nothing more than deflection and delay.

The sooner they admit there’s a fault, the sooner they may have to start compensating you for it.

So you end up with conflicting/nonsensical information (too many wireless devices 😂) and playing 20 questions with the forum staff without ever getting to the root of the problem.

In my experience VM’s customer service was never great, but now it’s shockingly bad. 

makoshark
On our wavelength

OK... I have had the return phone call and indeed within the half hour stated.

This was followed by numerous going back and forth over the capability of my MS surface laptop / USB3 connectivity / Safe Mode etc. etc....

Eventually, after various trials etc, I was asked to go and borrow another laptop from somewhere as there was clearly something wrong with mine (despite it working perfectly and recording over 200Mbps on another Virgin 200Mb connection elsewhere.

Despite suggesting that it really needed an engineer visit / router swap-out, this was denied as apparently I was unable to convince the technician that it was a Virgin fault !!! At this point I had heard enough and asked to speak to a senior person and was told that somebody would call me in a couple of hours... So I agreed to wait for this...

And then something amazing happened... my router somehow managed to reboot itself remotely and with my iphone, I suddenly had over 380Mbps bandwidth speed. I then checked my MS surface and this has somehow increased from 40Mbps wireless to 140Mbps ... and hardwired, I now had 190Mbps ... (still not the 350Mbps advertised but it was a dramatic improvement none the less)

Now it's simply a case of waiting to see how long the improvement lasts 🙂

If you had of uploaded your router stats we could have compared a before and after.

Anyway, I hope it continues to work for you, I'm still convinced you need a router replacement, this could very well be short lived.

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

Sorry about not uploading the router stats but it's been one of those days and spending close to two hours on the phone with Virgin took its toll!

Unfortunately, I never did receive a return phone call from the Manager as promised but maybe that'll wait for the next time, which I'm sure will happen as like you, I have little faith in the current router!

Again thanks for the help and support.

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi makoshark,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm glad that your issue seems to have been resolved, how are things looking for you today? Is there anything that I can help you with?

Thanks,

Laurie_C
Forum Team

and once again we are in the realms of 30Mb / 50Mb on a so called 350Mb service... I am just so totally bewildered by the lack of service from VM but there is some good news on the horizon... BT are now installing FTTH in our road so I'll be able to be rid of Virgin in the very near future!