cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net slow or unresponsive

MoistOwlette
Tuning in

Since today, my net has become unstable and slow. It's a form of income for me and I need it to be stable. My download seems to be fine, but my upload speed just tanks often. The network tester claimed no faults and turning the router off (waiting a minute) then turning it back on again did nothing.

A few weeks ago, something similar kept happening after there was an outage in my area. I was on the phone with a Technician who did something to my local network that made it work again, until today.

Please help.

29 REPLIES 29

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is this after the restart I suggested?

I will ask VM to come here and have a look

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yep. 5 minutes off, then start up for 5 minutes/until light is solid white. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK.... VM should be along as soon as.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you!

I just wanna be back to not having to worry about it anymore. 

Hi @MoistOwlette,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear you're having some issues with your broadband. Having taken a look into the account, I can see your area is currently impacted by a SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) outage which is expected to be resolved by 07 SEP 2021 09:00. This has been raised under Fault Reference F009255801.

You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV or TiVo® services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I hope I'll be getting some kind of discount or compensation for this. It's led to me losing out on work and just the fact it's a service I've paid for not offering what's advertised. 

Your services will be intermittent but if you suffer a total loss of service which exceeds 48 hours you may be eligible for automatic credits under our Auto Compensation Scheme 

If you are running a business but on a residential account, you may want to consider looking at our Business broadband packages. 

We do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

@MoistOwlette The auto compensation scheme is poor for speed and non-existent for intermittent connection faults, and operates under various very specific conditions that probably mean you'll get nothing.  If you do want to demand compensation you can try a formal complaint, but unless the fix is unreasonably delayed or the problems are long running or repeated there's unlikely to be a valid claim, and even escalating to arbitration wouldn't change that. In your shoes I'd not be happy, but wouldn't waste my time complaining (well, yet).  Also, any compensation will not be related to your losses - the contract specifically rules those out, as does a VM business contract.

If you absolutely need continuity of connection, the only way is to have both VM and Openreach connections and use a "failover" router.  A backup 35 Mbps Openreach connection is around £35 a month, so a roughly a quid a day, a failover router starts from about fifty quid.  For a few people who are absolutely reliant upon continuous internet connection to earn a living, that probably makes compelling sense, for most people it won't.  

Super appreciate the insight.

I wouldn't be as upset if this was the first time, but it's not. So I'm a bit miffed.

I'll look into the continuous router option, right now I'm starting up so it's not feasible but we'll see what VM and the future bring. 

If it continues. I'll just go to a more stable ISP. 

@MoistOwlette,

If you continue to experience any issues after 7th of September, feel free to give me a shout and I will check the account for any updates and further issues.

Cheers

Ayisha_B
Forum Team