cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need greater parity between upload and download

lilactime
Tuning in

Lets be honest, I AM getting pretty much the correct up / down speeds 970 Down / 60-65 Up. I have been with Virgin for 12 years without too much of an issue. I Had the switch to 1Gb and it has been fine. I am having issues with slower upload speed because I find myself regularly needing to send large (25GB+ up to 60GB+ sometimes) video files (cine film in 2K or 4K). It's no problem for the downloader at the other end but it takes me ages to upload.

So It's not that my system isn't running as it should it's just that the design of the Virgin system is letting me down.

Are there any Virgin trials or programs I can join to try out a system that even if it was 600 / 400 or 500 / 500 I would snap your hand off for. Of course 1000 / 1000 would be ideal.

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Whilst there are ways of getting symmetrical speeds over DOCSIS, they would involve a significant upgrade cost and it seems improbable to me that VM would bother with those when they've committed to XGS-PON as their future delivery technology, and that's certain to feature better upstream speeds.  If you want to be in on the XGS-PON trials, you may need to move to certain areas of Stoke, Salisbury, or Wakefield, if you don't already live there.  Even in those locations it will take time to convert the network, and just because the network is capable of higher upload speeds doesn't mean VM will enable them for customers any time soon.   

You might soon see a 2.2 Gbps offer on DOCSIS, with a 100 Mbps upload, as that's already been trialled in multiple locations, I don't get the impression that 100 Mbps cuts it for you?

Thank you Andrew I feared as much. 100MB is plainly better but is still first pigeon and post for me. Doesn't mean I won't take it when it is offered. I wouldn't want to have to leave Virgin but it is creating an issue for my working from home. Not in any of those places but just a tad North of Salisbury. We normally get lots of trials here, but not this one seemingly.

It's a shame that Virgin (and others) only see downloads as the part worth worrying about, particularly as our netflix etc. needs are catered for at 500MB The 970MB I currently have is un-needed headroom for the forseeable.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There are fibre networks offering symmetrical services, but usually over limited areas. Have you checked whether any of them covers your area? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You could, if you spend enough money get symmetric broadband, in most city areas.   However I think the majority of users are not interested in upload, as they only see the headline download speeds. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes, there is a company installing new Fibre systems here, it might work out as it is a rolling construction and they are not quite to my door yet, which is fine as I have a year left with my current Virgin contract. It would be a shame to leave but as Aduxxi says companies don't seem to care about customers who need decent upload speeds because the majority of cutomers don't care about decent upload speeds. The market eh? shrugs.