cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My work VPN suddenly not working

elbee8_1
Tuning in

Ive been with VM for about 4-5 years and have never had an issue. Since yesterday my work laptop, on which I have to use a VPN to access the hospital systems is losing connection every few minutes, making working from home almost impossible. 
I have a hub 3, all other devices are working normally. My work IT help desk say there is nothing wrong with the laptop or at the hospital end but think it may be something to do with Virgin?

Any help very much appreciated 

25 REPLIES 25

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Wired or Wifi connection?  Best to use wired if at all possible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Normally Wi-Fi but have tried wired as well. Makes no difference.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If all your other devices are working and the laptop is still disconnecting even using a cable, it is strange.

Does the laptop VPN reconnect or do you lose all internet connections on the laptop?  It does seem on the surface a laptop specific problem.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Try hub in modem mode
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, I’ll give it a go

Everything on the laptop dies, however, the Global Protect does not disconnect and I can still see and hear people on Teams or my IP phone for up to 30 seconds after they think I’ve frozen.

I think the IT department have given up on finding a resolution.

Hey elbee8_1,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your connection via VPN, are you still having these issues at the moment?

Kind Regard,

Steven_L

Yes, it’s affecting a large proportion of North Bristol NHS Trust at the moment, with large numbers of staff no longer to work from home.

Hello elbee8_1,

Thanks for the update and additional information, we appreciate the frustration this is causing and understand the confusion. We aren't able to help or support with VPN's via the community, from what you have advised this may be on the VPN side as opposed to the connection side if you only lose connection on the laptop and not other devices connected to the same network.

Do you know if all of the other people effected that you know are using Virgin Media? If this is across multiple ISP's then the issue will almost certainly be with the VPN and we would ask you to raise this again with your IT department.

Rob