cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 350Mb connection is throttled to 10Mb

ProTofik
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have been Virgin Media (and NTL) customer for the past 12 years. Starting with 2Mb/s connection, I went through multiple upgrades, currently at 350Mb/s.

In the past weeks or maybe months, I have noticed that as soon as I turn torrenting on any computer or server in my house on, the WAN download connection drops to 10Mb/s flat on every device in the house (total). On top of that, I experience massive, 25% packet drops (tested by ping -t 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8). Turn torrent off, and bam, problem solved.

My SuperHub 3 is setup in modem mode. My edge firewall is virtualized pfSense 2.4.4 and VLAN routing is done on Cisco 3560CX. Pretty basic setup that works fine.

Has Virgin Media introduced some sort of policy recently that throttles customer's connection down to make it feel like 2007 again for torrenting, or is my SuperHub 3 modem acting up?

Paying over £50 for 10Mb connection does not seem like a good deal for me any more. There are unthrottled 70/20 options out there for half the price.

151 REPLIES 151

They are only being throttled/bugging out when in Modem mode. When in dumb router/switch/access point/firewall/NAT mode the speeds are fine even when running 50 torrents at once. 

In any way, doesn't matter. Virgin won't fix it.

Darksideofmoon
Dialled in

I've been experiencing the exact same issue, up until the other night, i was assuming Windows 10 was causing the issue at one point, as this issue affect every single devices on my home network from connecting at proper speeds, TV, Mobile phones, Firesticks, the neighbors cat.

However, tonight i found a fix. After its being doing my head in for months.

I was find my speed was dropping to as slow as 1Mb after initially downloading at a decent speed instead of potential days to complete downloads.

Change the Port number on the program your downloading through.

If its torrents, depending on your Torrent client, go into options, then Connection, then press the Random button if available in the Listening Port box - Port used for incoming connections.

Choosing "Use different port on each startup" is a good option to enabled also as this should hopefully prevent this issue reoccurring ever again.

As soon as i did this, speeds are going back up to the higher speed as it should be and every other device connected to my BB is working perfect also.

Alekss_Belskis
Joining in

Try turning of the firewall on the superhub under advanced settings because the virgin media superhub gets scared when there are too many connections inside the network.

ProTofik
On our wavelength

Nearly a year has passed and Virgin is still refusing to even acknowledge the issue we all already diagnosed for them in here.

Anyway, I did as promised. Few days ago I got BT FTTH 300/50 installed. Not only the upload is better, but it's also handed over to me as RJ45 so I'm not forced to use any 'superhubs' + it comes with /56 IPv6 prefix. I guess I don't need to mention that the slowdown issue completely disappeared with BT.

So that's how my 14 yrs story with virgin ended.

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Your connection is not throttled apart from P2P at peak time in some areas with congestion, it may have had STM long ago but not in past year.

So I hope you are happy with BT, best of luck.

ProTofik
On our wavelength

Nope, it has already been proved by multiple users that superhub 3 is buggy and c*raps itself in modem mode. The issue never occurred when I applied workaround of dual natting (connect my router into superhub in router mode as well). 

How much is that costing a month?

jhuk
Trouble shooter

That is still not you being throttled from 350Mb/s to 10Mb/s, making it sound like Traffic Shaping.

I have the HUB3, I know its not the best but I get 385ish/35 all day long and most complain it does not work how they would like in Router mode not Modem mode which was your choice to use that way.

Hello all can anyone experiencing this same problem and ProTofik and others check out my video below :

https://vimeo.com/392743895

Is this the same issue you guys are having when using VPN providers and torrenting ?

**try new Video link below**

Hello all can anyone experiencing this same problem and ProTofik and others check out my video below :

https://www.videorefuge.com/v/4122

Is this the same issue you guys are having when using VPN providers and torrenting ?