cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 350Mb connection is throttled to 10Mb

ProTofik
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have been Virgin Media (and NTL) customer for the past 12 years. Starting with 2Mb/s connection, I went through multiple upgrades, currently at 350Mb/s.

In the past weeks or maybe months, I have noticed that as soon as I turn torrenting on any computer or server in my house on, the WAN download connection drops to 10Mb/s flat on every device in the house (total). On top of that, I experience massive, 25% packet drops (tested by ping -t 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8). Turn torrent off, and bam, problem solved.

My SuperHub 3 is setup in modem mode. My edge firewall is virtualized pfSense 2.4.4 and VLAN routing is done on Cisco 3560CX. Pretty basic setup that works fine.

Has Virgin Media introduced some sort of policy recently that throttles customer's connection down to make it feel like 2007 again for torrenting, or is my SuperHub 3 modem acting up?

Paying over £50 for 10Mb connection does not seem like a good deal for me any more. There are unthrottled 70/20 options out there for half the price.

151 REPLIES 151

Judgedredd73
On our wavelength

IPSec/L2TP also affected cannot work from home like this

Judgedredd73_0-1605773327736.png

Off VPN 350 Mbps

Alpha_Gb
Joining in

I have found a potential solution to this problem. I am using a SH3 in router mode and have also had this awful experience of slow speeds specifically when torrenting and using a vpn which I have never had on my previous talktalk connection. Going into Qbittorrent options then connection and disabling "Use UPnP/Nat- pmp Port fowarding from my router" and then checking "Use a different port on each startup" seems to have solved my woes. I also use the SSTP protocol through hide.me VPN. I have only just found this solution to work now so it will require testing but hopefully this helps.