cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 350Mb connection is throttled to 10Mb

ProTofik
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have been Virgin Media (and NTL) customer for the past 12 years. Starting with 2Mb/s connection, I went through multiple upgrades, currently at 350Mb/s.

In the past weeks or maybe months, I have noticed that as soon as I turn torrenting on any computer or server in my house on, the WAN download connection drops to 10Mb/s flat on every device in the house (total). On top of that, I experience massive, 25% packet drops (tested by ping -t 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8). Turn torrent off, and bam, problem solved.

My SuperHub 3 is setup in modem mode. My edge firewall is virtualized pfSense 2.4.4 and VLAN routing is done on Cisco 3560CX. Pretty basic setup that works fine.

Has Virgin Media introduced some sort of policy recently that throttles customer's connection down to make it feel like 2007 again for torrenting, or is my SuperHub 3 modem acting up?

Paying over £50 for 10Mb connection does not seem like a good deal for me any more. There are unthrottled 70/20 options out there for half the price.

151 REPLIES 151

I had this problem too,I thought it was the VPN couldn't torrent any higher than 1.5mb /sec on a 200 line

What worked for me was switching from open VPN UDP to TCP 

Speed is now between 10-15mb/sec 

was it the same issue as you saw in my Video ?

I have been researching this issue for 3 months and very few people have a clue about this problem or even know it exist.

Switching to TCP protocol fixes the problems by error checking, so the bad packet ids do not appear I too get 10-15Mb/s but surfing while torrenting is not possible or as stable.

I still do not feel TCP is a good fix due to this surfing issue and its a large sacrifice of 50-60% speed loss when torrenting.

Fast enough for me considering the VPN is on 

I've tried 3 vpns all same using UDP same download speeds 1.5 

Yeah I would have been happy with the TCP protocol quick fix setting even @ 8 MB/s on torrents but surfing grinds to a complete crawl and sites times out for me, some people have reported better TCP performance but not with the several VPNs I have tested oddly.

I will wait for others to check my Video, id like to see if it's the same issue as others see with VPN and torrent use.

Yeah when it's downloading and VPN is on there's a 5 second delay before the website I click on appears but once on any website the response is good for browsing

tdl
Joining in

I had this issue earlier today when I was using the GeForce NOW service to stream a game to my PC and it worked fine for an hour or two but then the stream became so pixelated I could not even see where I was going and in that situation you can forget trying to win a gun battle lol.

So I had to quit and since then the connection when tested is showing 0.92 Mbps on Speedtest (up to 2 hours later).

Virgin say they no longer do traffic management or throttle speeds but how else could you explain a connection that gets around 50Mbps a the best of times but supposed to be around 108Mbps (never had that) going down to less than 1Mbps because all that was done in this time was streaming a game?

Update: Turn off your router firewall settings as the router is absurdly picking it up as a DDoS attack. Boom back to fill speed 🙂

Ed_1991
Joining in

Today I experienced OP's issue still. Virgin has not solved the Modem Mode issue.
Safe to say, Modem Mode does not work correctly, and I will spread the word.

A not as good workaround if using your own router is to enable Router Mode, disable wifi and firewall. This still gives you 2 networks / 2 routers

Being stuck on 108M service I had to also take the SH3 jump and was expecting problems, the device did not let me down as I had nothing but issues with the thing while using VPN and torrenting and as expected only getting around 1.1 oppose to my usual 12Mb/s but needed rid of the old SH1 before a service upgrade.

I use modem mode with a Draytek router on the 1GB WAN and a separate AP and had no trouble with this setup before so the only change was the hub, I tried everything including double NAT and turning off everything within the hub in router mode but nothing worked so it was back to the drawing board, however I came across a related post saying to make to changes in the torrent client and behold it works!! (well for me it did) So, I can only guess that the client possibly invokes some features in the PUMA 6 chipset of the SH3 relating to UDP connections (probably why the TCP workaround works), setting below if this helps anyone, these setting came from another forum relating to a similar issue but with another provider so I can’t take credit for this but hope it helps a few peeps.

In uTorrent go to options and preferences.

Select Bandwidth and untick the Apply rate limit to UTP connections then apply.

Select BitTorrent and untick Enable bandwidth management UTP and apply.

Hi

Yes the only way round it was using Open VPN TCP for me

Using UDP maxed out at 1.2mb download speed whereas I get a consistent 20-30 mb on TCP,of course dependent on seeders

I used a few VPNs same result

I will note your settings but personally I wouldn't go anywhere near uTorrent,Qbittorent is a far less invasive torrent client

Where are the settings in Qbittorrent that might help to alleviate this problem?

Thks