Menu
Highlighted
noakes
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My 150mb connection only running at 3.82mb to 7.5mb acording to Speedtest.com

Over the past three days my broadband speed has been terrible, the past 2 days at around 20mb, and today between 3.82mb and 7.5mb acording to Speedtest.com. I can't view any video over 720p and very laggy.

Since the upgrade to 150Mb the service has been pretty good after years of problems, I hope its not degrading again or I will be switching, I cant bear to go through all that again.

Does anyone know of any issues causing this, the Virgin service indicator thinks everything is OK. Iv'e done all the usual checking cables, estarting the router etc.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My 150mb connection only running at 3.82mb to 7.5mb acording to Speedtest.com

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login (unless you have a Hub 3 and this is your first visit to the hub GUI, which does require you to login) but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread in a few days.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
noakes
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: My 150mb connection only running at 3.82mb to 7.5mb acording to Speedtest.com

Hi,  yes it's ethernet cable to the hub. Must be a coincidence but it started after I added Sky Sports HD to the TV package on Friday!

0 Kudos
noakes
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

P.S. I will post the log tomorrow evening when I'm back with the equipment.
0 Kudos
noakes
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for all your help guys, after 5 days the issue seems to have resolved itself!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming that you're back up and running now @ noakes.

Please let us know if you have any further problems.

Thanks

Steven_L

0 Kudos