Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode on Hub4

I'm trying to connect my hub4 router to my Mesh network. I'm using BT Whole Home WiFi. It works fine in router mode, but when I switch it to modem mode it no longer worked at all with the mesh network and I've had to roll back to router mode to get it to work. I can't see an obvious port for WAN. Does anyone know if there's a specific port to use? Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem mode on Hub4

The BT whole home mesh doesn't have a router built in, so it requires either the Hub to be in router mode or to fit another router.

Unless you have a complex internal network, the Hub's router will be perfectly adequate. You do of course need to turn off its internal WiFi. 

Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I wasn't very clear at all!

I have the Hub4 functioning as the modem for my Mesh WiFi. I am using this system to get rid of blackspots in my house. A single WiFi output is not adequate.

The Hub4 IS functioning properly as a modem in Router Mode but when I switch it to Modem mode (to avoid having an additional WiFi signal) is ceases to function.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for my ignorance, but if the Hub4 does need to be in Router mode, is there a way to turn off the WiFi signal?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

(Does research)

Found the answer:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-turn-off-wireless

For reference in case anyone else has the same confusion

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, your first post was perfectly clear

You need a router to connect your networked devices to the modem.  If you turn off the Hub's router by changing to Modem Mode, then you must provide another router to replace it.  Some mesh systems have a router built in, the BT one doesn't. .

I use the BT mesh by the way, and find it excellent