cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem mode not supported by VM???

bazcb87
Joining in

Hi I’m currently in an argument with VM just now. I’m being told If I change my hub 4 to modem mode VM won’t support my connection as I’m using third party devices. I don’t see what the issue is when using modem mode. I shouldn’t be forced to use your Wi-Fi and dhcp etc. So because of this im not getting any support, passed to countless amount of staff members etc… any advice ? Other than using router mode please 

15 REPLIES 15

jem101
Superstar

It'll all depend on what you need help with. Firstly, of course modem mode is supported although some of the diagnostic tools VM use doesn't appear to work properly in this mode, the customer services people are probably referring to, for example, if you called up regarding a wifi issue, they wouldn't be able to help you or even suggest anything as that'll be down to your own equipment.

Even in modem mode, you can expect support for the cable connection itself and the hub up to the point where it connects to your own router - after that it';s not their problem.

No I completely get that, but when you call in and  explain you have internet drops and poor connections they keep asking going on about WiFi this and do I have boosters we will send some out.  Then you explain you have your own AP and they don’t want to know. 

i don’t think it’s a lot to ask for support in VM gear. I don’t want them involved in my Wi-Fi that I installed as that’s my full time job. 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

There's reasons to believe that VM don't support router mode either, judging by some of the experience reported here.  As a broad rule any telephone encounter with VM stands a fair chance of ending with the customer being disconnected, fobbed off, or told complete nonsense.  

However this forum is usually a small glimmer of light in the otherwise dystopian gloom of Virgin Media's customer experience, so do you have a problem, and can we assist you with that?

I do have an issue, I’ve raised it and still not had much of a response. 
 I’m currently getting random drop outs, no internet access, 30-60 seconds later it’s working again, sometimes longer . 

So far from different advisors and btw still not further forward.

2 advisors said they don’t support modem mode

2 advisors says I need Wi-Fi boosters

1 advisor said I need an engineer but then transfers me away 

1 advisor said there is an outage in my area even tho the app says no issues 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Forget advisors - best advice wil be on here.

You havent said....

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables (other than the AP)?

If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

Also what AP is it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Well that’s the issue, I haven’t mentioned Wi-Fi to any of them. I’ve explained that I use modem mode with with own network gear. 
I know from experience never mention WiFi to service advisors due to the complexities surrounding it. But I clearly explained that our connection drops are apparent with wired connections. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK... tell us what router and wifi equipment you have when you check... it and till then lets see your connection data

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up on the Hub4 - I think you login and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I can see why they don't support modem mode with another router but they should support a PC to the hub in modem mode.

Your router could be the problem so test with a PC to the hub in modem mode and a new Ethernet cable but then you got the problem of is your NIC failing or the hubs ports something VM don't really think about.

---------------------------------------------------------------

A0ABADD7-A074-41A2-AE73-3C0AA1EA14A9.png

My issue is I don’t care about from the modem to my unifi USG, that’s not the issue for the drop out. The drops are from their side to my hub4 they provide. 
They don’t want to listen to someone else. Even when I try to explain my background 🤣