cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missold! Have 1gb which is slow, told virgin cable outside is too old to deliver those speeds!

Grantmh
Joining in

Have paid the extra to get 1gb connection, and don't get anywhere near those speeds. I've been told the cable out of our house has been there for 15 years at least and not sufficient enough to deliver 1gb speeds, plus I have intermittent service where the internet even when connected to a CAT 5 or 6 cable cuts out. Has anyone had the same issue, and how did you get it solved?

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors, and Network log from the Hub.

Also setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping  and post the "shared" link.  Once done we can comment on the state of your circuit.  Any ethernet cables should be at least Cat 5e, or Cat 6.   Cat 5 cables are only rated for 100mb links.

As an aside, my cable has been installed over 15 years and it still going strong.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your help, this is an ongoing issue. I have Cat 6 cables running through out the house.

The drop outs have been picked up before by a virgin engineer who at the time said the signal was border line, and that he was getting signal drop out readings but it wasn't serious enough for Virgin to do anything. 

Another engineer who changed the boxes and cables internally also said the same thing, the comment I got was to drop Richard Branson a line as something might get done 🤷🏻‍♂️

For me having a strong connection is important not due to any smart home kit I have, but primarily for work, which on teams I get frequently kicked out of important meetings.

I'll get the data across as soon as I can, though I fear that with the connections I've already had this won't change things.

Hey Grant,

Thanks for coming back to us, please can you do as advised by Adduxi,

Can you post the power levels, Pre and Post RS errors, and Network log from the Hub.

Also setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping  and post the "shared" link.  Once done we can comment on the state of your circuit?

Can you check all connections are hand tight and reboot the Router as this hasn't been done for 10 Days?

Regards

Paul.