Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Media file buffering with wired hub to TV

My pc is ethernet wired to the Hub router which is ethernet wired to my Samsung smart TV. I use Samsung Smartview to watch films downloaded to my hard drive. Sometime there is no buffering but other times it is very disruptive. It might be the file size (some are 12Gb) or something else?

My question is, if wire connected through the router is the transmission to the TV affected by the broadband speed which can vary in the evening or is the router independent of the modem part of the hub?

The software is up to date on the TV.

To check, can I disconnect the cable but leave the hub powered on with the wired tv connections?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Media file buffering with wired hub to TV

the internet will not effect your lan speed. But why not take the cheap hub off out of hte LAN. get a gigabit switch and connect all the LAN devices to that and then connect switch to hub. THen the lan traffic will never even hit the hub

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Good response. Thanks. Clear that zero impact on lan speed.

Smaller PC files c10Gb or under work without buffering issues to Samsung smart tv.

Will check out gigabit switches. I see that there are a number of posts that suggest there might be issues adding a switch to a virgin hub. I assume the hub should be set to modem but will read a few more posts before deciding what switch to buy. 5 ports would be ok for me.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@db21c wrote:
Good response. Thanks. Clear that zero impact on lan speed.

Smaller PC files c10Gb or under work without buffering issues to Samsung smart tv.

Will check out gigabit switches. I see that there are a number of posts that suggest there might be issues adding a switch to a virgin hub. I assume the hub should be set to modem but will read a few more posts before deciding what switch to buy. 5 ports would be ok for me.

No, the Hub stays in Router mode as it's only a switch you are adding.  So ethernet from the Hub to the switch, and the PC and TV connect to the switch as well.  This removes the PC to TV LAN traffic away from the Hub.

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-LS108G-Wallmount-Ethernet-Splitter/dp/B07V5QDJP3/ref=pd_sbs_147_5/2...

0 Kudos