cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M600 Wifi - 100mbps Ethernet and 50-150 (or to 400 max) wifi

Sbutt72
On our wavelength

My virgin media M600 has always had issues, like Virgin's internet going offline or suddenly going to sub 1mbps like today for an hour, and also an average of 100 or below mbps on wifi or powerline for me. I know my devices can run a LOT faster than this and I have tried many different easy steps to solve this - which have never worked (at all, or had any effect), also, I believe the logs of my routers page on 192.168.0.1 are full of notifications (errors, or criticals) and this is reflected on a not ever white colour on the front usually yellow/orange, and that my powerline or devices are not limiting my ethernet speed (not to huge extent) as i still get 100mbps to 250mbps when plugging directly into the router or going in front of it (with a different, relatively new device [which the technician explained to allow devices to reach 400-500 mbps on the old M500 but never happened])

19 REPLIES 19

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Guess your in a area with heavy downloaders

setup a BQM
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality
---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Sounds like an upstream problem that's beggaring up your connection quality.  In addition to the BQM suggested, pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

Ideally do that when the hub has been running for a known time of 24-72 hours since last restart, because restarts clear some of the data that migt be of interest to us here.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Note that VM do better QoS/BWM on the downstream (before it gets to the hub then the hub buffers your upto speed non-QoS/BWM) then upstream so BQM may show fine but if the QoS/BWM is doing it job it will not spike your connection just slow speed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sbutt72
On our wavelength

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AtgMFAjVDe7uoTblJS8gIi2qpwyW?e=ZadTlW

^ OneDrive link to a file with everything in it, sorry, when i tried to post it, it exceeded character limit and then told me there was invalid HTML in it.

@Sbutt72 wrote:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AtgMFAjVDe7uoTblJS8gIi2qpwyW?e=ZadTlW

^ OneDrive link to a file with everything in it, sorry, when i tried to post it, it exceeded character limit and then told me there was invalid HTML in it.

Looks like you have some noise on the upstream:

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

1 46200000 46.5 5120 64 qam 1

2 25800038 46.2 5120 16 qam 4

3 32599989 46.3 5120 64 qam 3

4 39400014 46.5 5120 64 qam 2

The QAM value should be 64 on all four channels.

would this explain 50-150mbps speeds on a 600mbps package? at least i should get around 300 at the best times.

will virgin fix this, or is there a way to report/fix it?

@Sbutt72 wrote:

would this explain 50-150mbps speeds on a 600mbps package? at least i should get around 300 at the best times.

will virgin fix this, or is there a way to report/fix it?

It could do, yes.

You need to wait for a response on here, or contact VM directly.

Make sure you setup a BQM as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Hi Sbutt72
Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see you have been facing some WIFI issues and not been getting your expected speeds, I have been able to locate your services on our system and could see some issues with some of your levels being out of sync, I have sent some signals and everything now looks in the green.

Please monitor the connection, can you also run a speed here.

Regards

Paul.