cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M500 upload speed is averaging around 1-2Mbps when it should be 36Mbps

namecaps
On our wavelength

Hi All,

I've been enjoying my M500 fibre broadband service for a few months now, and it's been all good, until recently.

I live in the Merley/Wimborne area of Dorset.

I was consistently receiving the advertised speeds of about 500Mbps download, and 36Mbps upload.

Nothing has changed in our home, but about 3 or 4 days ago the upload speed dropped to around 1-2Mbps, plus we're seeing some occasional dropouts (every 15-30 seconds).

namecaps_0-1682944861054.png

source: https://samknows.com/realspeed/

namecaps_1-1682945211570.png

namecaps_2-1682945531471.png

source: https://www.virginmedia.com/support/help/check-services/diagnostics/check

I got on the phone with Virgin Media tech support. We did the whole hub factory reset thing (30+ seconds on the reset button), but this made no difference.

The technician attempted to explain to me about good hub placement (free from obstruction), but I tried to explain back that nothing has changed at this end.

The technician also suggested that I'd be eligible for some free booster devices. But this doesn't make any sense, because if the router itself isn't delivering more than 1-2Mbps, then wifi boosters aren't going to improve on that.

I can only assume that the change is external to our home. I think that's a reasonable assumption?

I'll attempt to re-communicate with Virgin to communicate the above to see if they can investigate further.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HI @namecaps 

Welcome back to the community 

Really sorry to see you're having service issues. I have taken a look at our systems my side and can see that you power level specifications are out of spec and we'll need to book you and engineer to investigate the issue at the home. 

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon or if you're using a smaller device, you can see your private messages by clikcing on the Virgin Media logo at the top right and select 'Messages' from the drop down. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

These very low upload speeds are usually a service issue that is not resolved by resetting hubs or by leaping through any other hoops that VM might suggest over the phone.

Check for a known issues on the automated fault service 0800 561  0061

For a second opinion on the upload speed try :  http://cloudtalk.speedtestcustom.com/

If the fault persists, call it in as a fault. It may not result in an engineer visit if the fault is at the street cabinet.

namecaps
On our wavelength

Yes, still getting a low 5Mbps upload with that speedtest, which is lower than the advertised upload speed by a factor of about 7.

namecaps_1-1682950214559.png

I checked on the number: 0800 561  0061 - no faults reporting.

So yes, I'll be reporting a fault now.

Thanks!

HI @namecaps 

Welcome back to the community 

Really sorry to see you're having service issues. I have taken a look at our systems my side and can see that you power level specifications are out of spec and we'll need to book you and engineer to investigate the issue at the home. 

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon or if you're using a smaller device, you can see your private messages by clikcing on the Virgin Media logo at the top right and select 'Messages' from the drop down. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

namecaps
On our wavelength

Will do, thanks.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks so much for joining me on private message @namecaps 
I have now booked you a visit for the power level issue – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Here to help 🙂
Carley

namecaps
On our wavelength

All appears good/fixed now. The Virgin Media engineer attended on site today, and swapped out a part at our Virgin box on the outside wall, plus he mentoined that there had been a recent wider fault in the area which has been resolved.

namecaps_0-1683275268383.png

Overall I have been impressed with Virgin's service. 🙂

Hi @namecaps,

Thank you for the update on this. I'm glad to hear that this has now been addressed and resolved.

Please do let us know if there's anything else that we can help you with at all.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!