cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M500 speeds terrible via Ethernet

Mathrin
Joining in

Hi there,

I've upgraded from M100 to M500 and the ethernet speeds are frankly shocking.

Via wifi we can get roughly 480-550ish, but nothing more than 220 via ethernet directly to the router.

An engineer came out when we physically couldn't get more than 90 via ethernet from the router, changed us to a black superhub 3 and changed the isolator I think he called it. something happened since and I can get up to 220 now on ethernet. Via gigabit powerline I can't even break 100.

I've tried multiple cables, Cat5E/6 and 7, tried with the router in modem mode, tried different ports etc and no luck.  Engineer came out and spent an hour trying to figure why it wouldn't breach 100 on cable but said he would need to come back with a tool to measure the speeds at the ethernet port of the hub - safe to say he never did which is an entirely different complaint I need to make as I am really not impressed with that at all.

Regardless - Everything looks fine in the router set up, it's syncing at max speed and my Wifi is fine (provided im literally right next to the router) but it shouldn't be anything less than line speed on Ethernet - so what could be going wrong?  I'm absolutely at a loss other than it being another piece of faulty equipment from Virgin...

Thanks

Phil.

6 REPLIES 6

Mathrin
Joining in

I suppose I should also say, yes I've power cycled the router, reset it to defaults etc - it does nothing to improve.

Eeeps
Well-informed

What does your Hub3 say under 'Connected devices' and what device are you testing on Ethernet?

Hey there.

So everything is connecting at 1gbps, be it the PC's upstairs by Powerline, or my Laptop directly cabled into the superhub.  Connected devices all show as connected at gigabit speeds as well - aside from Wifi which is 761/864.

Thanks

Hi @Mathrin thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with the speeds you're receiving via your ethernet.  I would like us to look into this further.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R

adhsmith
On our wavelength

Un plug the powerline devices from around the house, I had an interesting issue with Powerline where it would knock my Internet speed down due to the device being too close to the hub and interfering (this was on G.fast fibre, not VM)

Also speeds via powerline can often ....scratch that, will always be less than advertised, the ports may connect at 1Gbps but that is the link of the physical interface on the powerline device, but the link between powerline devices over your power lines can be way less and will be wiring dependant, some portions of my house I would get 350Mb, others 30Mb, just depends on wiring, never anywhere near 2000Mb.

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and reaching out to the Community Forums, Mathrin,

Sorry to hear that you have been having connections issues with your broadband. I've run some remote diagnostics on your connections, and it does indicate that you are currently being affected by a local area fault ref#F009276828  and we are working to get this sorted as quickly as possible. The current ETA fix time is 22 SEP 2021 11:35. Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Corey C